Mobil 1 0w-20 revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just drained my sample of D1 and M1 mix at 5,500 miles. It was killing my HP and MPG. I just added 0w-20 and if smell has anthing to do with esters, then there are without a doubt much more esters in this 0w-20. Not only does my car feel better on this oil, it sounds better and will have much better MPG. HP is back up again and quite frankly feels much faster.

A 2001 Corolla with a 1.8L that calls for a 5w-30 wt. oil. Its well out of warranty but I want to see what kind of a difference it makes during a 5k mile interval. It shouldnt be a problem. I highly doubt clearances have changed much if at all. Amsoil said they havn't either from what they have found. I also doubt my car has larger clearances then a V8 Ford that calls for a 20wt now.
rolleyes.gif
BTW the smell of this oil is much different and more noticeable then the other M1 oils.

[ September 15, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
A 2001 Corolla with a 1.8L that calls for a 5w-30 wt. oil. Its well out of warranty but I want to see what kind of a difference it makes during a 5k mile interval. It shouldnt be a problem. I highly doubt clearances have changed much if at all. Amsoil said they havn't either from what they have found. I also doubt my car has larger clearances then a V8 Ford that calls for a 20wt now.
rolleyes.gif
BTW the smell of this oil is much different and more noticeable then the other M1 oils.

I've actually thought about trying this oil in my Olds van after I finish the Auto-RX treatment. I look at it like this: GM calls for conventional 5w30 oil for this engine, and most 5w30s shear down to a 20 wt rather quickly. If Mobil 1 0w20 proves to be extremely shear stable (and I predict it will), what would be the harm in using this oil in my 3.4?

I just bought another case for my Acura RSX. I'm happy with this oil. It's still hard to find in my area. You'll probably find that it thickens slightly in longer intervals and that consumption is slightly higher, but the gas mileage benefits offset this.

I think it's a good choice for a winter oil but engines with roller cam followers are best suited to it.

[ September 15, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

I mentioned this last year, but I do think that a 0w20 oil is ideal for someone doing short trips in the cold wintertime. Keep in mind, when that oil is cold, it's going to be thick, so if you never get up to full oil temperature, that 0w20 will probably protect better than a thicker oil would.

Guys, let me say my car feels sooo much better on this oil. Is it protecting as well? Only a UOA will find out but IMO this oil is built well enought that any car calling for a 30wt oil could use. I love it. My car is much quicker and the engine/rpms are much smoother. I hope my UOA looks good with it. Mobil specifically states it's good for hi-reving 4cy./6cyl engines. I don't know if any V6's even call for this grade so it's most likely ok. The %breakdown of PAO to esters is much greater. You can smell it. I think Mobil's biggest weakness is the volatility of their VII's. It's only a 20pt spread so it most likely contains Zero VI's. I bet this oil will only thicke. I say go for it. -71F pour point!!
shocked.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Hey Buster,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I saw a noticable difference (performance/noise/feel wise) when I went from a 30wt oil to the 0w-20 mobil1 supersyn in the Mazda6s.

Actually seems to be pretty widespread among the other mazda owners who were trying 30 wt's.

Still waiting on my UOA for the final word...but there is definitely a difference in the engine's performance between the two weights.

Buster keep us informed I used mobil 1 when 5w/20 was it .The motor made it to 300,000 miles .Redline oil seems to think with its oil you can drop to a lower grade and still have the same protection. But to me the lowest viscosity may be at the bottom of keeping things apart already. But then we will find out . Winter will be fine but what about summer heat .

quote:

Still waiting on my UOA for the final word...but there is definitely a difference in the engine's performance between the two weights.

I cant wait for your UOA.. I think M1 0w-20 is a well built oil. Lots of calcium/boron/moly and more esters. I don't see any reason why this oil won't do as well or better then a 30wt in CERTAIN engines.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back