Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Reread my previous post. I think you just made my point.

Gene

What point? You loved 5w20s in another thread, now your not so found of them?
lol.gif

1. I am not fond of xW-20 if the possibilty exist of exceeding 250&#186F oil temp. IE 110&#186F Ambient + Mountainous Terrain.

2. Cary seemed to allude to the fact that it was good to much higher than 250&#186F.

3. I asked for a example of a xW-20 that is capable of remaining 5.25 cSt or higher at a temperature of much over 250&#186F

4. You responded with a oil that is good to 259&#186F+

5. I do not consider 259&#186F much over 250&#186F.

6. I consider myself neither pro nor anti xW-20. I have just decided where I will draw the line. That line is 250&#186F.

7. I feel for my street use xW-20 is perfectly adequate yet am unlikely to encouter more than a isolated 3 ml 6% grade in temperatures of not over 100&#186F.

8. For Temps over 100&#186F + Mountainous Terrain or Competition I would be using a heavier oil than xW-20. I suspect either xW-30 or xW-40 depending on conditions.

Gene

Good to see that someone actually understands. Bravo.

quote:

Chill Gene,
grin.gif
I was just messin' with ya'.

However, I do believe that the oil in a new Honda Civic will never exceed 250F since there are only 115HP to heat the 4.2 qts in the engine and the cooling system is obviously brand new and in tip-top shape, even under the cross country trip outlined originally.
cool.gif

Although it is comforting to see someone argue against the usual thoughtless blanket 5w20 recommendation.
cheers.gif

Awww Shucks! And just when I thought we had a good arggg... ahhhh... Debate, going too.

Well I guess that only leaves ne one thing to do...
cheers.gif

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:

We will be experiencing 90-110*F heat during our trip through the valley and steep grades when we reach the mountians.

plain and simply, I want to put the best oil viscocity and brand.

-Matt

110F + Extreme Stress....

Just use the 5W-30 Redline.

Alternatives:

1. 5W-40 Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck & SUV

2. 0W-30 German Castrol Syntec

3. 10W-30 Mobil 1 + 1 QT 15W-50 Mobil 1

4. Redline 5W-20

I am not sure I trust 5W-20 in the 250F + Oil Temps that could result under the conditions you describe.

Gene

Well, due to the advice given, I decided to go with Red Line 5W-20 in my GF's car. She isn't into racing at all and wants to stay within warranty specs w/o hassel, so I decided to splurge.

I figure the Red Line oil is a better basestock than the Mobil 1 0W-20. It also has more moly, correct? It is also more shear stable than the other oils.

I'm also putting in some Red Line water wetter and some SI-1 Fuel system cleaner.

Just slightly off topic...while at the Honda dealership last wekk I noticed Honda brand 0W20 synthetic! Made me wonder if it was M1 bottled for Honda?

mf150,

I'd stay away from redline waterwetter in such a new car, unless that is all you are running in the coolant system besides distilled water. There is a thread in the coolant section about it gumming some cooling systems up. It made my coolant brown, but I think that was all. And I noticed absolutely no difference in the head temps in my truck. Just an observation.

Have fun on your trip!

quote:

2. Cary seemed to allude to the fact that it was good to much higher than 250&#186F.

Gene [/QB]

And I stand by the statement. Mobil 1 5w-30 is going to be the same thickness at 260-265F as the 0w-20 is at 250F. Not a heck of a lot of difference. The 0w-20 isn't going to magically fall apart and fail to protect, it will just have slightly lower film strenght than a 30 weight oil. What do you think the oil temps are in road race cars and Nascar engines that are qualifying on 5 and 10 weight oils? More than 250F. If the film was breaking down, you would have metal-metal contact and engine failures that would occur within 1 lap.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Honda-branded oil is M1. I also haven't seen anyone make a synth 0w20 besides M1, so I'd put a small sum of money on it being M1
smile.gif

BTW - I live in Ohio, hardly 110+ temps or mountainous, but I'm running M1 0w20 in my 01 Civic EX with Redline MTL in the tranny. So far, so good.

quote:

Well, due to the advice given, I decided to go with Red Line 5W-20 in my GF's car. She isn't into racing at all and wants to stay within warranty specs w/o hassel, so I decided to splurge.

I figure the Red Line oil is a better basestock than the Mobil 1 0W-20. It also has more moly, correct? It is also more shear stable than the other oils.

I'm also putting in some Red Line water wetter and some SI-1 Fuel system cleaner.

M1 0w20 or Redline 5w20, good choice either way, mf150. Rest assured you're well protected.

As far as the Red Line water wetter and the SI-1 Fuel system cleaner. Kind of a waste of money in a brand new car, IMHO, but I don't think it'll do any harm if used appropriately.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
To the best of my knowledge, all of the Honda-branded oil is M1. I also haven't seen anyone make a synth 0w20 besides M1, so I'd put a small sum of money on it being M1
smile.gif

Most of Honda's oils are rebranded Mobil Drive Clean, not M1. Also, there are a number of synthetic 0w-20 oils out there.

rolleyes.gif
With todays engine and the better oil being a Honda you'll do fine. I drove my Dad's car a 67 Ford Fairlane with a small V-8 across Arizona in 120 degree temp. without a problem. That was right out of High School in the Summer of 67.
sleeping.gif

whoops, I was under the impression that Mobil 1 was the brand, not the specific product.

There are multiple 0w20's, but the only 0w20 i've ever seen in real life (on store shelves) is Mobil SuperSyn 0w20. It took me a while to find it, too. Maybe that's just Ohio, though.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
whoops, I was under the impression that Mobil 1 was the brand, not the specific product.

There are multiple 0w20's, but the only 0w20 i've ever seen in real life (on store shelves) is Mobil SuperSyn 0w20.

All Honda oils are ExxonMobil products to the best of my knowledge.

You are correct Honda 0W-20 Synthetic is Mobil 1 Synthetic. Drive Clean is Mobil branded Dino oil.

Honda 5W-20 is the same as Exxon SuperFlo. I am not sure if the Mobil Driveclean is the same formula or not.

Mobil and Exxon use different formulas in many oils.

Gene

quote:

Just slightly off topic...while at the Honda dealership last week I noticed Honda brand 0W20 synthetic! Made me wonder if it was M1 bottled for Honda?

No, it isn't Mobil 1 0W-20. Honda 0W-20 was produced for the Honda Insight long before Mobil 1 0W-20 was introduced. web page

I posted the following message in 2003:
quote:

The 0w-20 SJ GF-2 honda motor oil is referred to by Honda as HVI motor oil (high viscosity index). I believe that means it is a group III motor oil. When this oil was first tested in 1998 or 1999 it gave an improvement of 1.5% in fuel economy compared to a typical Honda 5w-30 GF-2 motor oil with the same additive package. The oil was tested for wear on a Honda OHC 2.0L engine and showed just slightly higher wear for the cam lobe and the same wear for rocker arm scuff. The results were well within the limits for GF-2 motor oil. I don't know who produces this oil but it is manufactured in Japan. The specs are as follows.
SJ GF-2
Vis. @100C 8.2
Vis. index 186
HTHS vis. 2.6
CCS vis. @-30C 3050
NOAK 16%

Quote from JB:
quote:

I think Honda's Japanese oil is made by Idemitsu.

All the above information is from 2003 so I imagine that it is possible that now Honda uses Mobil 1. Has anyone seen the bottles of Honda 0W-20 lately?

[ July 09, 2004, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

quote:

M1 0w20 or Redline 5w20, good choice either way, mf150. Rest assured you're well protected.

As far as the Red Line water wetter and the SI-1 Fuel system cleaner. Kind of a waste of money in a brand new car, IMHO, but I don't think it'll do any harm if used appropriately.

I think 1 oz of Redline SL-1 per tank is a good dose...even in a new car.

And a 4 oz dose in the next to last tank of gas before an oil change works well. Perhaps not if a UOA is planned, but every other time it makes sense.

I don't know if Redline Water Wetter is the way to go.... does it pull up gunk? Or was that in systems that had Dex Cool?

Honda seems to have paid close attention to getting their coolant right for their engines. So,
maybe leave the Water Wetter out?

Evey Redline product has earned 5 stars in mny opinion. And Redline as a company has earned the highest marks for integrtiy and respect for the customer, IMHO.

Water Wetter is the only Redline product I'm not 100% sure about.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Evey Redline product has earned 5 stars in mny opinion. And Redline as a company has earned the highest marks for integrtiy and respect for the customer, IMHO.

No arguements with you here. I think Redline products earn 5 stars too. I just don't think everything automatically needs helper products. I've run 3 new cars in recent memory to 150K miles before selling or trading them in. And in each case, not one drop of these helper products were used, and the cars were in tip-top shape when they left my ownership. Occasional use may be a good idea, but I just don't see them needed on a brand new car. But, it won't hurt to use them in any event.

I'm sure Terry is going to try to convince me to use Lube Control and Fuel Power, but if I don't see measureable improvements, I'll consider that a waste too.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
I don't know if Redline Water Wetter is the way to go.... does it pull up gunk? Water Wetter is the only Redline product I'm not 100% sure about.

It leaves a brown residue however it is not supposed to be a problem. It supposedly settles out when the coolant is still and cools off and re-disolves as the engine is brought up to temp. This is what Redline claims anyway.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
mf150,

I'd stay away from redline waterwetter in such a new car, unless that is all you are running in the coolant system besides distilled water. There is a thread in the coolant section about it gumming some cooling systems up. It made my coolant brown, but I think that was all. And I noticed absolutely no difference in the head temps in my truck. Just an observation.
Have fun on your trip!

Just to digress a bit, what causes the Red Line WW to gum up the coolant system? I've had the stuff in my mustang gt coolant system, and I've had to flush it within a year for an oily residue in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back