Mobil 1 0w-20 EP 7.4k mil; Acura RDX 2020

I'll assume this is a 6 qt sump ... If the dilution is 4%, that means about 1/4 qrt (8oz) is fuel. That would be a lot of fuel from a 10 minute warm up. Almost 1 oz of raw fuel every minute. Zowie!

I would agree; always take the oil sample after a long drive. Or, nothing wrong with taking a sample from a cold sump that was cooled overnight after a long drive.

I'll assume this is a 6 qt sump ... If the dilution is 4%, that means about 1/4 qrt (8oz) is fuel. That would be a lot of fuel from a 10 minute warm up. Almost 1 oz of raw fuel every minute. Zowie!

I would agree; always take the oil sample after a long drive. Or, nothing wrong with taking a sample from a cold sump that was cooled overnight after a long drive.
Will do it next time, but does not sound like one shorter trip would get 4%. Car takes 5qt of oil.

I’m probably not going to word this or ask it right, but say you always do short trips and occasionally have a longer drive, would sampling it after a short trip give you a more accurate reading of how much fuel dilution is really going on? Instead of taking a long drive to let any fuel/condensation burn off and then take a sample and maybe not getting an accurate gauge on how much fuel is normally always present in the oil for majority of the oci.

Again I probably didn’t ask it the way I’m trying to convey it.

I’m probably not going to word this or ask it right, but say you always do short trips and occasionally have a longer drive, would sampling it after a short trip give you a more accurate reading of how much fuel dilution is really going on?
Thats a good point, if you only sample at ideal conditions that are not average, you might end up with the results that are over optimistic.

I would shorten the interval to 5,000 miles for the next UOA.

Also, yet another Mobil 1 product coming out <600 ppm phosphorus. Possibly a contributor to the high iron?

I would shorten the interval to 5,000 miles for the next UOA.

Also, yet another Mobil 1 product coming out
Since I follow OLM, I will do at 50%, which us 3-4k miles. Wont even bother to change oil filter

I’m probably not going to word this or ask it right, but say you always do short trips and occasionally have a longer drive, would sampling it after a short trip give you a more accurate reading of how much fuel dilution is really going on? Instead of taking a long drive to let any fuel/condensation burn off and then take a sample and maybe not getting an accurate gauge on how much fuel is normally always present in the oil for majority of the oci.
There is some measure of legit point here.

If your operational pattern is typically short trips and rarely coming to full temp, then I'd say yes to what you propose above.

The OP in this thread did state, however, the driving pattern is about "90% highway" 40-50 min at a time. That would indicate that short trips are not typical and therefore the UOA he took wasn't representative of "normal" for him.

There is some measure of legit point here.

If your operational pattern is typically short trips and rarely coming to full temp, then I'd say yes to what you propose above.

The OP in this thread did state, however, the driving pattern is about "90% highway" 40-50 min at a time. That would indicate that short trips are not typical and therefore the UOA he took wasn't representative of "normal" for him.

one 10min trip in 90F outside will make fuel dilution numbers significantly different?

I don't know that; that's not what I was speaking to.

My point is that if most of your driving is highway, then only take a UOA sample after a typical highway trip.
If most of your driving is short trips, take the UOA sample after a short trip.
The key is to get a sample which most represents your driving pattern.
Nothing more; nothing less.

I don't know that; that's not what I was speaking to.

My point is that if most of your driving is highway, then only take a UOA sample after a typical highway trip.
If most of your driving is short trips, take the UOA sample after a short trip.
The key is to get a sample which most represents your driving pattern.
Nothing more; nothing less.
That makes sense, and I wasn’t trying to spin it around or anything. It was just a legit question I guess.

I got to thinking about how some people always say take a long drive before you sample to burn off some fuel and whatnot, but if you always do short trips and the oil for the majority of the oci never really gets to optimum temp would you want to sample after a short trip or say you let it idle to warm up for 5 minutes? Just to maybe get a true estimate of how much fuel is in the oil.

I would assume if you are a habitual short tripper or do excessive idling, you would want to stick to 5K mile intervals like most recommend or the severe service schedule.

Thank you always for your input and insights dnewton, it is always much appreciated

I know you're worried about warranty, I'd be running a50/50 mix of 0w20 and 0w30 in whatever brand you want, just to bump viscosity some.

Since I will change oil twice as often, might as well go between 0w-30 and 0w20

Thats the plan, I will go with cheaper synthetic oil (something like Kirkland costco), but more frequent oil changes. Btw, Honda 2.0t engine been around since 2018, I dont think we saw many failures, but still….
There is a couple major losses going on with the Honda 1.5 engine. I believe Overkill posted those articles but I'm not sure one was in China One is in the United States

I know you're worried about warranty, I'd be running a50/50 mix of 0w20 and 0w30 in whatever brand you want, just to bump viscosity some.
I would run a 040 or 5:40 you're not going to have an engine failure. At least not cause from lubrication. Is the winner weight
Rating that determines pump ability. You could run a 0.50 and be totally fine. Or even a 5:50 if you care too

Why does everybody say stick to OEM? OEM is only a recommendation not a mandate. If you ran a 0.40 and you had an engine failure they would have to prove that 040 cost engine failure. That means they would have to run in uoa on the oil to determine the viscosity. At least on a Honda engine you'll never see an engine failure caused from a 040. They recommend these viscosities overseas.

Why does everybody say stick to OEM? OEM is only a recommendation not a mandate. If you ran a 0.40 and you had an engine failure they would have to prove that 040 cost engine failure. That means they would have to run in uoa on the oil to determine the viscosity. At least on a Honda engine you'll never see an engine failure caused from a 040. They recommend these viscosities overseas.

The only issue is the receipts. If receipt has a wrong oil type and you have engine failure, this might give them a reason not to cover. The manual does say to use only 0w-20. You can hire a lawyer and fight them, but its better to avoid all the complications by having right oil receipt. However, I agree that if you put 0w-30 instead, it would be impossible for them to prove with oil analysis

Kinda hard when you have a printed copy of a euro manual. 0/20 0/16 is all about CAFE. I'll take engine longevity over 1-2 mpg increase. Which is pretty useless bc I don't drive 55 or 65. I'm a 80-90 mph on the freeway.
Screenshot_20220816-151716_Chrome.jpg

Kinda hard when you have a printed copy of a euro manual. 0/20 0/16 is all about CAFE. I'll take engine longevity over 1-2 mpg increase. Which is pretty useless bc I don't drive 55 or 65. I'm a 80-90 mph on the freeway.
View attachment 115936
Thats for Honda accord 2.0t engine sold in Europe? Unfortunately, Acura RDX is made solely for North America and the manual lists one oil. This is unfortunate when dealing with bearcats that want to denny warranty.

Back