Mobil 1 0w-20 EP 7.4k mil; Acura RDX 2020

Car driven 90% highway with 40-50min each time. Followed OLM in a car. Mobil1 0w-20 EP. (Report says ESP, but its a typo).
7400 miles and about 9 month.
This is pretty bad with fuel dilution 4%. My strategy is to cut OCI in half.

Attachments

• I880334-OILANA75024974-2.jpg
    I880334-OILANA75024974-2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Surprised at the amount of fuel for the usage profile. Iron is fine (it tracks with mileage) but you will want to watch aluminum going forward to make sure it trends down. The engine doesn't have a ton of miles on it, so that may just be some break-in still taking place.

Surprised at the amount of fuel for the usage profile. Iron is fine (it tracks with mileage) but you will want to watch aluminum going forward to make sure it trends down. The engine doesn't have a ton of miles on it, so that may just be some break-in still taking place.

What about high magnesium, is it just additive pack of m1 0w-20 EP?
This should be same engine as Honda accord 2.0t with different tuning. Its stock factory. The glory of modern GDI turbo invention I suppose. The viscosity seems to be reduced to 0w-10, maybe another indication that this engine needs thicker oil….

Car driven 90% highway with 40-50min each time. Followed OLM in a car. Mobil1 0w-20 EP. (Report says ESP, but its a typo).
7400 miles and about 9 month.
This is pretty bad with fuel dilution 4%. My strategy is to cut OCI in half.
Agree. Think you could try 5,000 oci.

I would treat this like a F150 Ecoboost engine since you have a decent amount of fuel dilution for 90% highway mile OCI. 5k with whatever synthetic you like and I'd say this engine will last and last.

For a while I hoped Honda’s fuel dilution issues were unique to the 1.5T, but this and other UOAs seem to say it’s a problem with both Honda TGDIs. The RDX was on my shopping list but not so sure anymore.

I would treat this like a F150 Ecoboost engine since you have a decent amount of fuel dilution for 90% highway mile OCI. 5k with whatever synthetic you like and I'd say this engine will last and last.
Thats the plan, I will go with cheaper synthetic oil (something like Kirkland costco), but more frequent oil changes. Btw, Honda 2.0t engine been around since 2018, I dont think we saw many failures, but still….

What about high magnesium, is it just additive pack of m1 0w-20 EP?
Looking back at my own UOA for M1 EP 0W-20 in our RAM 1500, magnesium was at 677ppm, so I'd say this is at the expected level, perhaps a bit depleted.
This should be same engine as Honda accord 2.0t with different tuning. Its stock factory. The glory of modern GDI turbo invention I suppose. The viscosity seems to be reduced to 0w-10, maybe another indication that this engine needs thicker oil….
It's at a 0W-16 level, being at 6.8cSt (there is no 0W-10). In comparison, with only 0.7% fuel in our RAM, we were at 8.0cSt. This shows how significant the impact of fuel is on viscosity.

Here is J300 for reference.
SAE J300 Current.jpg

Viscosity is low due to fuel, and AL is high. Bearings on that engine will be AL, so the low viscosity is increasing bearing wear. Definetly shorten OCI…I’d say try a 30-weight, but being under warranty stick to OEM grade.

I'm running Kirkland 0W-20 in my Accord 2.0T @ 5000 OCI. I've done a couple of UOA and they have been spot on good reports. I started off running PUP & Amsoil and quickly decided if I'm committed to running 5000 OCI I was going to put inexpensive type oil in the sump.

Is aluminum 10ppm high? The engine got 22k miles, is it from new engine?

The 27ppm of iron would concern me. Seems high for a Japanese engine. I'd do what addy said and shorten the interval.

What was the driving routine before sampling? At the end of one of those 40 minute commutes or idling in
the garage?

Is aluminum 10ppm high? The engine got 22k miles, is it from new engine?
If memory serves me I recall my 2018 Honda 3.5L took nearly 30k miles and 4 or 5 oil changes before wear metals came down. My 3.5L and 5.7L Toyotas were much quicker to wash out new engine metals.

someone took their 5% fuel dilution report to the dealer which was reported to Honda engineering. The official answer was that its “normal” for this kind of engine…. The manufacturers are just waiving their hands it seems

Back