MOBIL 0W40FS NOW API SP

There was just a l-o-n-g thread on this oil. it didn't look too good vs. the older high Ca formulation. Ca vs. zddp fight? I would prefer a NON LL, non long drain oil for performance and better AW activation but the old FS formulation is well certified and proven over years of service. Just leave it in - don't short service it!

But is the older formulation all bought up? What to do. Maybe someone here could help with date codes.

I would not use that thread as a basis to read into anything about the performance of this oil formulation.

That was really interesting.
Additives must be balanced and more is not better. Especially with regards to ZDDP.
Operating oil temperature is used to determine viscosity.
He also said SP oils were good and seemed surprised how good. I don't think he was pleased with SN oils. The balancing act is what I took away the most from this video. We already knew that but it's good to sometimes get confirmation.

Was kind of leaning towards M1 0w40FS but then read that the high calcium could "compete" with the ZDDP so I didn't pull the trigger just yet on the oil. Currently running 5w30EDGE Dexos.
I think you may have misunderstood that part. That comment was in reference to how additive levels need to be carefully balanced. You'll notice in Mobil's PDS they always mentioned "balanced component system". In other words, don't base an oils performance by what you see in terms of additive levels through a virgin oil analysis. It was also mentioned that by moving the detergent level down, for some of the latest oils, you can also reduce the ZDP as well and still achieve good wear performance.

He also said SP oils were good and seemed surprised how good. I don't think he was pleased with SN oils. The balancing act is what I took away the most from this video. We already knew that but it's good to sometimes get confirmation.
Yep. Seems that SN simply wouldn't cut if with regards to the spring pressures which were up to 3x greater than was was commonly found in passenger cars.
I also thought it was interesting how in his opinion that the 0w-20/16/12 etc were looking a lot like race oils from the past.

I would not use that thread as a basis to read into anything about the performance of this oil formulation.
True, but I will shy away from high magsul component in a S - service oil. It may be necessary for LSPI , but it's a severe compromise. I am wondering if another UOA or VOA can would back up what was seen in that recent posted UOA. It is surprising.

True, but I will shy away from high magsul component in a S - service oil. It may be necessary for LSPI , but it's a severe compromise. I am wondering if another UOA or VOA can would back up what was seen in that recent posted UOA. It is surprising.
What’s the concern with magnesium sulphonate? I thought it was pretty much at least as good as calcium.

What’s the concern with magnesium sulphonate? I thought it was pretty much at least as good as calcium.
Abrasive agglomerates @LD, bore polishing evidenced, seal degradation. oil formulators (Japón) historically avoided it like the plague is S service cat lubes.

I recall @SonofJoe likes MagSul - but then dislikes Boron.

A matter if taste? Or the complex DP balancing act misinterpreted in engine teardown?

Looks like more research is in order.

Abrasive agglomerates @LD, bore polishing evidenced, seal degradation. oil formulators (Japón) historically avoided it like the plague is S service cat lubes.

I recall @SonofJoe likes MagSul - but then dislikes Boron.

A matter if taste? Or the complex DP balancing act misinterpreted in engine teardown?

Looks like more research is in order.
Perhaps there's some information on these concerns that @High Performance Lubricants could help clear up?

The only Mobil 1 0w-40 I've seen is the European Formula. Is it different than what is the subject here.
There are 3 0W-40 Mobil products, there's the Full SAPS 0W-40, ESP X3 0W-40, and Supercar 0W-40, the later 2 being quite similar but the Supercar is specific to newer High Performance GM vehicles while the ESP X3 has a myriad of Euro mid-SAPS manufacturer approvals.

Back