MOBIL 0W40FS NOW API SP

Been looking for an oil to use as double duty daily/HPDE oil in my C5 Corvette and have been going down the oil rabbit hole.

Was kind of leaning towards M1 0w40FS but then read that the high calcium could "compete" with the ZDDP so I didn't pull the trigger just yet on the oil. Currently running 5w30EDGE Dexos.

Saw that now the 0w40FS is SP rated, does that mean it will have lower calcium for the DI LSPI "issues"?

Went to the local wal mart and they still have SN bottles only.

oil.PNG

Last edited:
Been looking for an oil to use as double duty daily/HPDE oil in my C5 Corvette and have been going down the oil rabbit hole.
Fantastic, glad you could join us in here--we have cookies
Was kind of leaning towards M1 0w40FS but then read that the high calcium could "compete" with the ZDDP so I didn't pull the trigger just yet on the oil. Currently running 5w30EDGE Dexos.
The blend is balanced to accommodate that
Saw that now the 0w40FS is SP rated, does that mean it will have lower calcium for the DI LSPI "issues"?
It means it is blended to protect against LSPI, and they did drop and swap some calcium DI for magnesium DI as a part of that reformulation process
Many here will recommend that you go with Mobil 1 European Car formula 0w-40, or HPL if you want to go further down the rabbit hole.

View attachment 146297
You have a C5, so LSPI is not even a remote concern. The current version is more than fine.

You have a C5, so LSPI is not even a remote concern. The current version is more than fine.
I wasn't worried about LSPI, I was worried about how some people have said that Calcium will fight with the Zinc and can prevent the Zinc from working as well as it should. Didn't know if this is something I should be worried about.

I wasn't worried about LSPI, I was worried about how some people have said that Calcium will fight with the Zinc and can prevent the Zinc from working as well as it should. Didn't know if this is something I should be worried about.
M1 0W40FS is track oil. Mobil1 is advertising it is track/race line up.i ran it on track at 300f and 5k OCI.
Use it!

M1 0W40FS is track oil. Mobil1 is advertising it is track/race line up.i ran it on track at 300f and 5k OCI.
Use it!
What vehicle? That is awesome. I ran my 5w30 at 284 before cooling down lol

So you’re more worried about something “some people have said” and your own ability in being able to predict the future performance of a motor oil based upon elements, than you have confidence in the oil blender and manufacturer?

Perhaps you should contact ExxonMobil and tell them what these people have said. Maybe they have no idea and need to change the formulation.

Didn’t you already ask the same question here?

Last edited:
But you said “Saw that now the 0w40FS is SP rated, does that mean it will have lower calcium for the DI LSPI "issues"? I think that’s why people thought you were asking about LSPI.

Last edited:
The only Mobil 1 0w-40 I've seen is the European Formula. Is it different than what is the subject here.

The only Mobil 1 0w-40 I've seen is the European Formula. Is it different than what is the subject here.
Note the tiny “FS” to the lower right of the Mobil 1 logo near where the bottom of the handle meets the jug.

I think for a while some said FS while some didn’t. I’m sure someone else could explain it better.
image.jpg

Perhaps OP watched this quite informative discussion but took something applicable to racing to heart:

That was really interesting.
Additives must be balanced and more is not better. Especially with regards to ZDDP.
Operating oil temperature is used to determine viscosity.

Last edited:

View attachment 146297

There was just a l-o-n-g thread on this oil. it didn't look too good vs. the older high Ca formulation. Ca vs. zddp fight? I would prefer a NON LL, non long drain oil for performance and better AW activation but the old FS formulation is well certified and proven over years of service. Just leave it in - don't short service it!

But is the older formulation all bought up? What to do. Maybe someone here could help with date codes.

Back