mobil 0w20 vs amsoil 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just noticed that the new 0w20 mobil 1 is thicker than the amsoil 5w20. Thought it was weird seeing mobil 1 having a thicker viscosity than amsoils.

Yeah, it's unusual to see this. I think the Mobil has better specs. and moly. It also is a group IV.
smile.gif

Honda Guy,

The HT/HS of the Mobil 1, 0w-20 is 2.6 Cp, vs 2.9 Cp for the Amsoil 5w-20. So I would content that the Amsoil product is actually a bit thicker in the bearings of an engine.

Of course I'm picking nits here, but Amsoil specifically formulated this way to meet the HT/HS limits for xw-30 grades ....I would also expect Amsoil to be more shear stable; given the performance of the Mobil 1, 0w-30 in some applications.

Time will tell, I suppose ....

TooSlick

I don't think it will be more shear stable. It's only a 20pt. spread. Mobil's base stock is better in this oil.

if amsoil didn't change their formula to group 3, then i probably would have used it. Isn't it true that mobil 1 came out with 20 wts when they first came out? Anyways, i can't wait to see this oil on the shelves of walmart.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
if amsoil didn't change their formula to group 3, then i probably would have used it. Isn't it true that mobil 1 came out with 20 wts when they first came out? Anyways, i can't wait to see this oil on the shelves of walmart.

Yes, Mobil 1's first oil was a 5w20.

Patman,

I believe the "benchmark" for the XL-7500 series oils IS the Mobil 1, xw-20 and xw-30 grades ....

If you compare the specs for the 5w-20/5w-30/10w-30 grades, they are very close in terms of HT/HS viscosity, Noack Volatility, TBN, pour points, VI etc. Even with significantly lower levels of ZDDP, the XL-7500 stuff performs about the same in the four ball wear test, FWIW.

For drain intervals of 10,000 miles or less, I believe you will get comparable results with either of these product lines. I hope to demonstrate that over my next several oil changes ....

TooSlick

Ted, does it matter if an oil is a group III but has a good additive package? For instance, if Amsoil's Group III (XL-7500) line are all group III's but have great specs. that match Mobil's group IV based oils, could you assume they are just as good? I have to say that Amsoil's XL line, while not worth it IMO, look like solid oils. Ed from Amsoil today said they are starting to appear in more retail stores. I think these oils could really do well in the retail market and give consumers more of a choice then Mobil 1.

[ March 17, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

In modern oil formulations, the basestock essentially acts as a carrier for the additive chemistry. It is true that PAO's have even better extreme temp properties (both hot and cold) than do Group III basestocks. However, it is possible to combine a Group III stock with a more robust additive chemistry and get a fully formulated oil that works very well. There is quite a bit of variability in the quality of Group III basestocks, so you do have to find a good supplier.

I ran some of the Petro Canada 5w-40, group III oil in my Audi last year as a test. (As a rule I don't like to comment on things unless I have some firsthand experience with them.) This oil performed very well over the course of 10,000 miles.

I'd be very interested in seeing an apples to apples comparison of Mobil 1 to the Amsoil XL-7500 series oil in the same vehicle. I plan on overtesting some of these XL-7500 oils out to 10k-12k drains to see how they hold up. I expect them to perform comparably to the Mobil 1, supersyn in terms of wear rates and degradation....

TooSlick

Thanks Ted. I might run some myself if I can find it. If you come acros anyone in the NJ, PA area who carries it, let me know. I'd like to run the 10w-40 after I'm done with D1. I'm going to check the phone book.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Honda Guy,

The HT/HS of the Mobil 1, 0w-20 is 2.6 Cp, vs 2.9 Cp for the Amsoil 5w-20. So I would content that the Amsoil product is actually a bit thicker in the bearings of an engine.

Ted, where do you get the HTHS for the M1 0w-20? It's not published, and if you ask Mobil 1 for the spec they will tell you the minimum spec required for the SAE 20-weight designation--which just happens to be 2.6cP.

Jay,

I have to admit I estimated it, based on the HT/HS of their 0w-30 and 0w-40 (3.0 and 3.6 respectively). I may be off by a little, but I think it will test out at 2.6-2.7 Cp. For all I know, it's the 0w-30 basestock without any VI modifier - that would be a nobrainer to do ....I'm sure all the Mobil stuff would easily pass the double length Sequence IIIF test.

I'm sure this new 0w-20 supersyn will be a very good product, but I'm not sure I'd use it over their 5w-30, which seems to work very well in high revving four cylinder engines. I'd also be interested in seeing a Noack # for this 0w-20, compared to the M1, 0w-30.

ted

Being most Mobil 1 30wt. oils are close to 20wt., I'd use them over the 0w-20 too.
grin.gif

Actually the reason I'm interested in Mobil 1's 0w-20 is because it may offer the gas mileage and shear-stability benefits of M1 0w-30 without the volatility problems of that grade. I feel pretty certain that M1 0w-30 wouldn't pass a double-length sequence IIIF test--judging how my car burned through it. The 5w-30 would, but then you take a hit in gas mileage.

[ March 17, 2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

quote:

I'm interested in Mobil 1's 0w-20 is because it may offer the gas mileage and shear-stability benefits of M1 0w-30 without the volatility problems of that grade.

I agree, my car went through the 0w-30 very quickly. IMO, this is not a good oil unless you have a new engine. It's just not shear stable enough.

i just talked to a guy at walmart, and he doesn't even know when mobil 1 0w20 is coming out. This really bugs me considering its supposed to be out the end of march, and they have no clue about it!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
i just talked to a guy at walmart, and he doesn't even know when mobil 1 0w20 is coming out. This really bugs me considering its supposed to be out the end of march, and they have no clue about it!!!!!!

If this guy knew much of anything, would he be working at WallyMart?

Ken

>>>>Ted is Amsoils S2000 0W30 their top oil? Do you know of any Sube Outback 2.5 using it?

I'm not Ted, but my daughter is using AMSOIL 0W-30 in her Outback--don't know which engine.
And yes, the S2000 is one of the top oils. The owner of AMSOIL told us he is using the Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel in his own car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back