Mobil 0w-16, 9,700 miles, 2019 Toyota Camry, 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder Dynamic Force

Prefer xw-20, the engine doesn't get as loud at high RPM and sounds healthier. Changing at 5k too, mostly city though.

This is what Toyota thinks of 10k OCI...They provide it for Toyota care to make the maintenance costs low for them and you... but when they sell you Toyota Care Plus maintenance package they change it every 5k...go figure.

Reactions: a5m
But where? The_Critic indicates oil burning, which I'd think was ring related. But engines these days don't seem to wear the cross-hatch very much--rings might lose tension and/or get stuck. Neither of which is wear related.
Cam,valve train, timing chain?

FYI, here is a post of a engine with extended drain intervals at over 200k now with no oil consumption between changes.
That's my vehicle. In Jan of 22 I changed oil to 5w20 Mobil 1. Its 14th UOA will happen sometime in 2023.

This is what Toyota thinks of 10k OCI...They provide it for Toyota care to make the maintenance costs low for them and you... but when they sell you Toyota Care Plus maintenance package they change it every 5k...go figure.
The Toyota maintenance package still follows their maintenance schedule, which is 10k OCI's.

If you want 5K OCI's after the Toyota CAR and during the maintenance package, you pay out of pocket.

Luckily, the dealership that services my car has a 3-oil change/tire rotation package for $149.99 plus tax.

The Toyota maintenance package still follows their maintenance schedule, which is 10k OCI's.

If you want 5K OCI's after the Toyota CAR and during the maintenance package, you pay out of pocket.

Luckily, the dealership that services my car has a 3-oil change/tire rotation package for $149.99 plus tax.
This wasn't my experience, but I also didn't buy the package my girlfriend did. Maybe they overcharged her. I looked at the paperwork and oil was changed at 5k intervals until 45k miles accumulated, no extra payment. I did the last 2 OCI also at 5k.

This wasn't my experience, but I also didn't buy the package my girlfriend did. Maybe they overcharged her. I looked at the paperwork and oil was changed at 5k intervals until 45k miles accumulated, no extra payment. I did the last 2 OCI also at 5k.

1657570260973.jpg

This is a nice report for a great engine. Used a Fram Ultra filter, an 8 month interval with 60% highway, 40%city and short trips. For all the too thin naysayers and 5k with synthetic oil changers, this report hopefully will open some eyes. Toyota factory recommended oil change interval of 10k, 1 year seems to work great for my application. Not trying to start a war here but maybe with some more results like these, the 10k interval will become more accepted. Thanks
Here are my thoughts on your report:
Blackstone's 100 C viscocity acceptable target range looks wrong. i THOUGHT 0w-16 was 5.1 to 7.2 target range. A 9.1 is for a 0w-20. The low range number at 5.1 looks right, but i don't think 16 weight allows it to be as heavy as 9.

I'm not going to say 5.7 ending viscocity is "too low". The oil is within spec, that's what the test shows.

Fram ultra claims high efficiency down to 21 micron. You have very low wear metals on the report. That looks good, but you also have one hell of a filter in there. If you're engine were wearing a little more, that filter is probably pulling that wear out really well. That may make the numbers of wear particles come out comparatively low to some one using an OEM filter which is probably spec'd for 35 micron. i don't know what the spec is on the toyota oem filter, i have the same engine in my rav4 and i used the m1 filter last time with 30 micro rating. If i did a similar uoa as you at the same milage, if i saw my wear numbers coming back a tad higher than yours that means our engines are experiencing similar wear, bc your filter is better.

The TBN number looks great. I'll also point out that you are using a top of the line motor oil that Mobil claims exceeds spec.

You are taking a mild shot at folks who, in the past, warned of going over 5k on an oil change. But we need to be fair to them, were they saying this about GF-6b oil or the older standards of SN/SN+? During the SN and older days there was a bigger spread between great vs just ok motor oil. The auto companies were pounding the table for better motor oil standards. There's a lot of evidence the basic SN wasnt good enough for a lot of newer engines GDI & especially TGDI. Honda around 2015/2016 reprogrammed the oil life minder and manual recommendation from 7500 oci to 5K on their regular port injection 2.0L in the civic (the turbo model always said 5k). Toyota on the other hand has been out there with 10k miles for over a decade now and i dont think its been good for them. Just go to car-part.com and take a look what a 2016 or newer low milage honda 2.0L engine from a junk yard wreck sells for vs a the 2016 or newer corolla 1.8L. Both are the old port injection, very tried and true evolved designs that sell hundreds of thousand every year. Those are low resale value cars so a good collision when they have some years and miles on them sends them to the junk yard for harvesting their organs. The used corolla engines are 2x that of the honda civics. That implies there is a lot more demand for junk yard corolla engines to get those cars back out there than hondas. i doubt it means that civic driver are terrible and their wrecks are just flooding the used engine market.

Getting back to SN -- > SP upgrade problems:
The industry was mostly spooled up to print 'just meets spec' SN. They needed to add capacity and source better base oil by cutting out all the group II crap the lower priced guys were shipping (group II ---> group II+/group III/+). ILSAC/API went with an upgraded test and came out with SN+ because the industry was going to drag its feet getting to the quality the manufacturers wanted. So they first shipped 0w-16 in its high standard form GF-6b.

GF-6b is the highest spec for motor oil ever, and they added some new tests like piston deposit prevention (lspi) and set the largest design margin of (2x) on some of the catagories. GF-6b was set JUST for 0w-16 because auto makers were pushing to get it out the door but the oil industry wasn't ready to make the stuff in volume. The equivalent standard for other weights is SP, SP certified oil is only recently taking over the shelf in all grades.

So maybe NOW 10k oil changes is legit. If you were doing this with bargin SN oil for the last decade i think the results are very clear. Look at the horrible track record of piston drain hole sludging and piston damage (causing excessive oil consumption) toyota has had to put up with in the 2AR-XXX series of rav4 and Camry engines from 2008-2018. Seriously forget all the noise of denial from toyota and again compare junk yard engine prices of Camry vs Accord for those model years. 120k mile junk yard 2AR's are being sold right now for $3K. Thats unheard of for a used junk yard 4 cylinder engine put in a consumer passenger car.

Let's see if it starts consuming oil by the 100K mark if you maintain these intervals.

I had a customer with a 2018 where M1 0W-16 was used at 10-11K intervals since the 30K oil change. 100 mi/day commutes. By the 80K mark, it was consuming about 1 qt every 10K.
So your saying the free Toyota Genuine Motor Oil the dealer was putting in for the first 30K clogged the piston drain holes and the M1 just couldn't overcome the damage done by that TGMO swill?

10k oil changes on 0W-16? Would anyone want to buy a used car if original owner did that. I certantly wouldn't. Luckily carfax's show the date/mileage of each oil change, so these kinds of cars can prudently be avoided in the used car market.
only if the customer brought it in to the stealership for oil changes. Me i did mine at 4200 and put m1 5w-30 ep in it. Texas summer.

What is difference between your oil temperatures in summer compared to winter so you need 5W30?
its 100 deg F out regularly in the day. In winter i might run 0w-20, winter is for about 2 months it can get down to 40 or so. but its dam 85/90 at night right now.

Back