MMS + WiFi

being a rookie with my new older smarter than me sony xperia xz 4G phone i got to get ahead of 3G phase out i was disappointed not being able to send a rare pic when needed! on that note i have the 10 cents a minute old go phone plan, + my older 3G Razar could send pics although crappy. i found out ATT dont allow pics on my cheep plan on a smart phone, but i only talk as needed + pics only rarely needed to show when i sell old bike parts etc. NOT SURE but it seems that i can send pics MMS etc on a WiFi setup WITHOUT spending more on a plan i rarely need. can anyone enlighten me, thanks in advance as it try to learn new tech!!

Don't use the regular "text" app to send pictures to get around this. Whether it's a text (SMS) or picture text (MMS), it goes through their data network and they can control/restrict it. Send pictures using WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc. Downside is the people you're sending to have to use the same tool, whether it's WhatsApp or Facebook or Instagram or something else.

SMS and MMS are services provided by the carriers, and based on their (cell) network technology.

If your plan doesn't include them, you won't be able to use them.

Traditionally, they were offered as pay-to-play features, with either a per message charge, or an allotment basis.

As instant messages became a popular form of communication, bills started going up, which gave rise to alternative messaging apps, like AIM and Yahoo Messenger in the old days, to the multitudes we have today, like Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, iMessage (on Apple devices), Skype, Line, Telegram, etc.

WhatsApp became incredibly popular in certain parts of the world because it was a good app that enabled users to send messages without incurring any charges, and bypass the paid SMS/MMS services. That was worth $19B to Facebook, which bought the company to gain access to its users (and their data).

Such apps aren't based on the cell provider's technology, but simple IP, which can be carried over any network connection.

Most users now have one, or more of these apps on their devices and computers, so your best is see which ones are popular with your customers and install them on your new phone to use for messaging, as well as picture sharing; many of them even offer voice calling. It is unlikely now to find someone who strictly relies on SMS/MMS, so it's just a matter of finding the matching conduits among the other options.

If you have a no-data plan, the SIM is probably not provisioned for MMS.

Does anyone remember email?

thanks for the replies! although the sending of pics is rare its something useful i dont mind paying a "little" for, so i am looking at some "lesser phone carriers" at lower prices that use the ATT GSM network. i continue to learn a little with a lot of reading. as noted i use my phone only as needed, + with 20 min for $8 a month i have rollover time so i dont want or need a bloated costly plan!

Couple of things...
SMS, MMS, and data all need to be setup.
IIRC MMS used data system, but didn't count if MMS was free...
I used to keep data turned off, took a while to learn it would not work on Wifi.

I use Airvoice, ATT GSM SIM, now $18 for unlimited, unlimited, and 3gb fast data.

tshephard, thanks for mentioning Airvoice never seen that on any other articles + am interested! i talk little + the use of MMS for cheep is what i am most interested. my ATT very old gophone rate is $8 for 20 min monthly + rolls over but NO MMS i have been looking into. you say DATA dont work on WiFi which is usually free on other spendy plans, but i see data as a pay as you go along with minutes which is ok as i only use data as needed. i would appreciate any more info you could give on is prformance as well as any issues since you thanks in advance

Last edited:
Data works fine on data and wifi, but simple MMS requires cell data set up and turned on at transmission time - MMS will not use Wifi like most everything else can.
Apparently MMS piggybacks on both SMS (headers? - addressing, etc.) and cell Data (content), using some of both systems.
Just so you know, there is some problem with iPhone folks not getting outside text, pics something - if that's your customer base. (I try not to deal with iPhone folks 😊 ).
The 3gb plan does not slow down; we're stepkids on ATT, but I don't notice.

Do you want to save money? or do you want to get what most people expect you to use today in 2021?

I used to turn off MMS and SMS back when they were not free and tag on $10 a month, that's like back in 2004 or so. These days there are so many plans even those on ATT network that has unlimited text and call with only data charge, that turning on SMS / MMS will not cost much on those. If you have to use ATT network you can always go to one of those and just use it, not much will change in coverage.

The problem going to these apps like FB messenger, whatsapp, Line, Telegram, etc is you don't know who may send you stuff, that's not something you can control. You will have to have MMS / SMS these days if your clients will send you stuff expecting you to get it.

thanks for the replies + as noted i an NOT phone savy + only talk very little as needed + looking for a cheep plan that i can send a pic to a forum on my computer or to a prospective buyer of leftover bike parts etc, everyone wants + likes pictures + i am no different as seeing what your talking about is best. my current go-phone ATT plan $8 monthly does not support sending pics with my new to me smarter than me phone but it worked on my older razar flip phone. i assume a data plan is necessary for sending a pic + the WiFi question came from seeing when on WiFi no data is used but i "guess" your phone-plan needs to be set up for data. looking on Air Voice + US Mobil i see the settings that must be put into the APN in my phone, yes i am learning but slowly!! since i only need to send a pic off + on + my 20 minutes a month of talk is enough i dont want to throw away $$$ as i have lots of other ways to spend my $$$. i am looking at red pocket, airvoice , + US mobil at the moment + trust first hand experience over on-line reviews. again thanks for helping an older retired guy learn or at least deal with newer tech! lots of time + weather is still more indoorsey so i read + learn.

Back