MMO vs TCW3 as a fuel additive

We're looking for people who have used either TCw3 or MMO as a fuel additive to weigh in here with their observations and opinions. Doses, MPG gains or losses, and any other feedback you might have, good or bad. Hopefully there are some members who have used both products, and can weigh in too.

Maybe we can even do some informal testing of our own logging MPG gains or losses, what mix ratio gave the best results, etc. This can be on going since it is going to take a while for the information to hit the board.

TIA,
Frank D

OK I will chime in first. I use MMO in everything I own added to
the fuel. I use twice the recommended dose which has no effect on
mileage. More than that will reduce MPG. I have used it for 20
years and had the cylinder head off a 1987 cougar 3.8 because
of a blown head gasket (Like thats something new) The piston
tops and valves were unbelievably clean. I also use it to
winterize mixing 50/50 with tcw3 outboard oil

God's Nectar

I've noticed the same thing with MMO, it seems an OD of MMO doesn't have as much of a negative effect as TCW3 does. I'm not saying that in a negative way. I ran a quart plus in 20 gallons of fuel with no ill effects that I could notice. I've used MMO in gas a very long time too and only had positive results. I use in in everything, mower, snow blower, line trimmer, power washer, and a small outboard engine, it works very well.

I will continue to run it in the Aerostar and as soon as the normal driving routine for the Aerostar comes back I will track mpgs.

I use it as a fogging oil too, it works great.

I used 27 gallons of TCW-3 last year but.......
I ran it all through some Evinrude outboards.
3- 150 hp Etecs
2- 225 hp Etecs
2-225 hp Fichts
1 140 hp VRO, Carbureted.
They all get lousy mileage, despite the use of TCW-3 oil.

Sorry guys, I could not resist!

I don't know what TCW3 is, but I have used MMO quite a bit as a UCL. It is the only one I have found that will quiet a Honda S2000 valvetrain on cold starts at the recommended fuel/MMO dosage. It doesn't seem to hurt MPG in any way. I don't keep close track, but I'd say it's about the same as no additives.

TCW3 is oil to be mixed with gas for 2 cycle water cooled gasoline engines (outboard boat engines). It is ashless and meets NMMA TC-W3 standards. There are a lot of people using it as a UCL in their cars and claim increased mpgs, and some other benefits similar to MMO. That's why I started this thread, I wanted to see what benefits if any, other members are seeing using either of these products.

I have used MMO in everything (as well as a shot of Stabil), I cxannot say if it has helped me in any way except for no issues with my boat,lawn mower, pressure washer,weedeater ect

I have been running it in my CTD since new as well as a shot of Power service...I have tried numerous combinations and the best is the 3 oz to 10 gallons (for me)...btw truck HATED TCW3 and MMO mix! mileage went right down the [censored]!

I think the TCW3 is some potent stuff, but if you think about it, it has to be. It is the only source of lubrication for a 2 cycle engine, based on that it has to be used in very small amounts in a 4 cycle engine. Interesting the mix of the MMO and TCW3 was NG in your truck.

I use either MMO or TCW3 with every fill up of my 1998 Chevy 6.5td. I use a full quart of either on an empty tank fill (less than a quarter tank). If it's a partial fill I guess at the amount. I can't tell a difference between the 2. I do it to help aid in lubricating the injector pump, 170k same pump so it can't be hurting. As far as a car or motorcycle, I've only used MMO.

I started using MMO in my small engine fuel. Once I have the engine sorted out and have run a few tanks of fuel dosed with MMO through an engine, it starts easier and I no longer have to tear down the carb to clean out varnish. I have used it on occasion in my cars and have noticed a bit nore pep, but no improvement in MPG

I started to use TCW-3 on my 2006 Ridgeline about 4 tankful ago. I have MPG history without TCW-3 since I got the truck with 18K. I will use that as the starting base line. Once I get a few more tanksful with TCW-3, I will report my numbers.

I'm using TCW3 at a ratio of ~ 1:500 or 2.5 OZ per 10 gallons of fuel in my turbo Mazda. In a good running clean engine, one would expect no mileage increase or decrease. Differences would be lost in the variability of the driver & weather.

Been using TC3W for a year now at 1 oz per 4 gallons. Really can't say I have noticed anything, but should help keep all the parts lubed and cleaner. Today I picked up a quart of MMO to try out.

I use 1 oz TCW3 per 5 gallons of gas, or 2 oz MMO per 5 gallons of gas.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Been using TC3W for a year now at 1 oz per 4 gallons. Really can't say I have noticed anything, but should help keep all the parts lubed and cleaner. Today I picked up a quart of MMO to try out.

I've used it. If nothing else, you'll get a nice smelling exhaust.

IIRC they do add a wintergreen oil (?) or something to it which gives it that smell. I can't say if it does anything, other than give it the smell.

Back