MMO in transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago, I bought my daughter and son in law a 1997 Oldsmobile Van. Van has 118,000 miles on it. Changed Transmission filter and three quarts of fluid a little over a week ago and now want to do a general flush and exchange of all tranny fluid. I was just reading on the Marvel Mystery Oil website that MMO can be used in automatic transmissions at a maximun of 16 oz per tansmission fill, (in other words, no more than 16 oz). Has anyone ever used MMO in their transmission before? Did it do a good job of cleaning. Transmission on van is giving me no problems, but I thought now would be a good time to clean it out so to speak so it gives good long service for my daughter and son in law and their little kids.

I would opt to use Auto-Rx. Use 6 ounces in the transmission. Drive for 1000 miles, then do a flush/fill. Auto-Rx is held in high regard here. I would also suggest running a bottle through the engine.

use transmission fluid in that transmission, Nothing else!
if it works good why mess with it change the fluid use dex merc hm valvoline and everything should be ok

DO NOT USE MMO IN YOUR TRANSMISSION! That is all.

Use the fluid recommended by GM and NOTHING ELSE!

I wonder about the survival of humanity when I continue to see people falling for stuff like this snake oil. You'd think after thousands of years of charlatans people would wise up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Or in this case, fix it until it is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: otis24
I would opt to use Auto-Rx. Use 6 ounces in the transmission. Drive for 1000 miles, then do a flush/fill. Auto-Rx is held in high regard here. I would also suggest running a bottle through the engine.

From an outsider looking in I have to strongly disagree with this statement

WHY? ATF is an excellent detergent in itself!

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
About a month ago, I bought my daughter and son in law a 1997 Oldsmobile Van. Van has 118,000 miles on it. Changed Transmission filter and three quarts of fluid a little over a week ago and now want to do a general flush and exchange of all tranny fluid. I was just reading on the Marvel Mystery Oil website that MMO can be used in automatic transmissions at a maximun of 16 oz per tansmission fill, (in other words, no more than 16 oz). Has anyone ever used MMO in their transmission before? Did it do a good job of cleaning. Transmission on van is giving me no problems, but I thought now would be a good time to clean it out so to speak so it gives good long service for my daughter and son in law and their little kids.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

From an outsider looking in I have to strongly disagree with this statement

+1
OP Change the fluid and filter leave the cleaners out of the transmission.
Maxlife is good for these GM units.

Here's what you read from Marvel:
Can MMO be used in automatic transmissions?
Yes, MMO is safe for usage in automatic transmissions. Use no more than 16 ounces of MMO in the automatic transmission.

I have never used it in a tranny, but I have had good luck with this "snake oil" in gas/diesel applications. I've never really cared what others here have said about it. I like MMO.

BTW, their air tool oil works well too.

Unless you've done a lot of towing or hill climbing or very hot weather driving in stop and go traffic with this transmission, I doubt it would need any cleaning. Automatic transmissions are funny about their friction characteristics, I would be loathe to put anything other than fresh ATF in an automatic transmission. It has detergents to deal with any oxidization that has occurred from overheating.

Since the pan was dropped and filter changed do a few line drops, or fluid extractions via the fill tube, driving in between each exchange. I'd do a total of 4 gallons. When you're done fill it up, add some Lubegard Red and call it a day.

+1 for Auto-Rx. Also installing a Magnefine inline filter is a good idea. I will catch most of the crud that new ATF and/or Auto-Rx loosens up.

1000 miles is the mininum. I have it in my Dodge Ram and have close to 10K miles and am awaiting warm weather to do a fluid exchange.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Van has 118,000 miles on it. Changed Transmission filter and three quarts of fluid a little over a week ago and now want to do a general flush and exchange of all tranny fluid... Has anyone ever used MMO in their transmission before? Did it do a good job of cleaning.

What are you expecting to clean with MMO? You pulled the pan off and changed the filter, so how dirty were the transmission's guts? They don't get sludged like engines do, so I would imagine the insides were pretty much spotless except for the dirty fluid, yes?

There's nothing that MMO can do for an automatic transmission that isn't already covered by the correct ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back