MMO in P/S

Friend of mine is due to replace his power steering fluid, and I recommended ARX to clean things up a bit. He isn't willing to pay the price for it, however. Having said that, he's asking if MMO be any good in the power steering system as an alternative. I said I didn't know. There's no mentioning of it on their website, but they do recommend it for automatic transmissions. Personally, I'd rather use ARX...but under these circumstances, it's not my car or funds to make a decision. Has anybody used it in power steering applications? Any recommendations? Thanks!

JHZR2

Staff member
Just flush the fluid a few times. Better off not adding things that are relatively unknown into such a system. MMO works great elewhere, and we have no reason to think it won't work well, but there is no basis to say that it will do anything either...

I would imagine adding MMO to PSF won't hurt, however I wouldn't add more than a couple of ounces. You could get 1 bottle of Redline or Amsoil PSF if available and dump it in and run it for a couple hundred miles. The detergents in these products should clean it up nicely. I did this with the Cabriolet. When I bought the car the PSF looked old and slimy, so not wanting to create leaks, I emptied out the small reservoir and refilled with Amsoil PSF and ran it like that for a while, slowly the clean fluid turned dirty... I drained it out and refilled it again for another cleaning cycle. It slowly cleaned up the system and now the fluid stays clean and no leaks.

gj

I have a 95' F-150 244 K I-6 that has a little whine to the power steering I may try that myself.I just bought some MMO because the truck has a rattle when it's in a pull I figure low octane/old age is the reason.Put some in my Kohler 26hp mower's gas tank also.What the heck I guess.

Falcon_LS

Thanks for the replies! \:\! Did a search on MMO's website, and it has never been tested in P/S application. However, apparently it uses the same base oil has power steering fluid and would cause no harm. It will thin the oil a bit, and make it flow better. The MMO representatives on the board recommend a dose of 10% MMO in your P/S reservoir. I will recommend a couple of system flushes and what I've found out about MMO in the P/S system. It's his choice to make.