MMO in 95 BMW 525i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a 12 oz bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in my 95 BMW 525i with 172,000 miles. I have already done 3 Auto-rx treatments. Thought I would try soemthig else.

How long should I leave it in or can I leave it in for the remaining fill? Currently I have 10w40 mobil 1 truck oil with about 3,500 miles on the fill.

I have a random hot idle tapping-like a sticky lifter-that comes and goes.

kind of an old school product that is nowhere near as good as the quality of the actual motor oil you're mixing it with. i wouldn't let it near a BMW engine. Auto rx is a far superior modern product, if that didn't do it, then nothing will. Suggest you drain it out in another 500 miles tops. The Mobil 1 itself should be able to do all the cleaning you will need. If you have been running Mobile 1 for the entire 172,000 miles, probably the engine
will be spotless anyway, which explains why the Auto-rx did not do anything.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
kind of an old school product that is nowhere near as good as the quality of the actual motor oil you're mixing it with. i wouldn't let it near a BMW engine. Auto rx is a far superior modern product, if that didn't do it, then nothing will. Suggest you drain it out in another 500 miles tops. The Mobil 1 itself should be able to do all the cleaning you will need. If you have been running Mobile 1 for the entire 172,000 miles, probably the engine

Actually auto-rx did a bit of cleaning as engine ran stronger after the first two treatments. i have owned the car for 100,000 miles. the first 72,000 the oil was conventional and changed about every 6,000 miles. Opportunity for sludge!

MMO seems to have a decent rep and has been discussed a lot on this forum. While I have not seen many negative comments, I am sure there are some.

FYI I switch oils all the time- synthetics all. May use Castrol Syntec 5w50 next.

MMO has a good following here, but personally I'm not really convinced, after reading the threads carefully, the evidence is that it is not really a good product. The voices of reason seem get drowned out. It can be used as an additive to gasoline, and that I believe in, but personally I find just adding a 600:1 two stroke tcw3 synthetic oil to the gas to be twice as cheap as MMO, and probably twice as good. Like Pennzoil synthetic 2 stroke, or semi synthetic 2 stroke marine oil. The people who have taken apart hundreds of engines report that engines that have only seen synthetic are remarkable clean, compared to dino, probably because it's more uniform chemistry, more heat resistant. You have an extremely high output sophisticated engine, it must be a pleasure to drive. I suspect the engine will still go for another 172,000 miles before showing signs of wear, but for this next half of its life, I would be inclined to change the oil a bit more often, perhaps 4-5000 miles instead of 6.

MMO has a good following here, but personally I'm not really convinced, after reading the threads carefully, the evidence is that it is not really a good product. The voices of reason seem get drowned out. It can be used as an additive to gasoline, and that I believe in, but personally I find just adding a 600:1 two stroke tcw3 synthetic oil to the gas to be twice as cheap as MMO, and probably twice as good. Like Pennzoil synthetic 2 stroke, or semi synthetic 2 stroke marine oil. The people who have taken apart hundreds of engines report that engines that have only seen synthetic are remarkable clean, compared to dino, probably because it's more uniform chemistry, more heat resistant. You have an extremely high output sophisticated engine, it must be a pleasure to drive. I suspect the engine will still go for another 172,000 miles before showing signs of wear, but for this next half of its life, I would be inclined to change the oil a bit more often, perhaps 4-5000 miles instead of 6.

I typically change my oil/filter every 4,500 miles. As you stated, seems like the right thing to do.

Leave the MMO in for the last 1000 miles of the OC. During the colder winter months you can add a pint up to a qt and run the full OCI. You can do it year round, but for people who are on the fence about it, I suggest the winter months, you'll see how it aids in cold starting, and probably be hooked on the product.

Not sure what threads the good captain has read about it not being a good product. People like myself, my father, StevieC, demarpaint, panthermike, and the list goes on and on seem pretty impressed with the product. Some of these guys have been driving and using the stuff longer than I'm living. They've had great results with the product. It's ususally the people that haven't used the product, that heard a story passed along by someone who knew someone, that knew someone, that had a problem. These stories just don't seem to die.

Take it from people here on Bitog that used it and had good results. The product works, and works well!

AD

Originally Posted By: Loopie
^+1.

cheers3.gif

AD

Why not try Rislone, which seem to be a "better" product, since you don't want to continue using ARX?

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
Why not try Rislone, which seem to be a "better" product, since you don't want to continue using ARX?
May try Risolene. However, after 3 doses of Auto-Rx I just think it has done all it can do. Some other product may "attack" crud in a different way.

Keep in mind this engine has non adjustable hydralic lifters. Just a smal amount of crud in small passagescan cause a tick.

Today after 60 miles on MMO i could hear the tick come and go as the car idled for a couple of minutes. Previously the tick would be more constant. Even so, I suspect any change/improvement is just wishful thinking as I doubt if MMO has had any effect yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Captain Klink is non other than the infamous poster named scoobie. He has some "unique" ideas.

Really! I liked his Scoobie mixes, but disagree on his internet based opinions of MMO. But to each his own!

I would agree that Rislone is a good product to consider as well, but I would not say it is a better product than MMO - I personally still prefer MMO.

MMO may be an old school product, but is one of the best. I don't doubt the fact that mobil one helped keep your engine clean, but i can tell you that in my case it didn't. My truck has 145,000 miles on it and it ran synthetic all the way up to 132,676k, and it had sludge in places. why is this you ask, I honestly don't know. Truck had 3k oci(s) pcv & air filters changed every 12K. Everything was done right according to severe maintenance schedule. Started running mmo in gas tank mpg went up 15%. started running mmo in crank case mpg went up another 15%, and all the crud got eaten away from the oil fill cap.

Originally Posted By: Russell
May try Risolene. However, after 3 doses of Auto-Rx I just think it has done all it can do. Some other product may "attack" crud in a different way.

Keep in mind this engine has non adjustable hydralic lifters. Just a smal amount of crud in small passagescan cause a tick.

Today after 60 miles on MMO i could hear the tick come and go as the car idled for a couple of minutes. Previously the tick would be more constant. Even so, I suspect any change/improvement is just wishful thinking as I doubt if MMO has had any effect yet.

I have the same kind of thing on my M52.

One single ticky lifter than comes and goes, sometimes only at certain temperatures.

It's much quieter than it was after a round of ARX (shorter instructions at the time) than it was originally, but it never went away completely. Maintenance doses of LC20 and ARX in GC haven't affected it at all.

I'm running XD3 15W40 HDEO (dino) this summer for a couple of reasons with 4oz of ARX in it, and it seems to be doing the coming and going while I'm standing there thing again.

A guy who admittedly sells Swepco indicated that Swepco 502 gets rid of ticky lifters on BMWs. He gave me a freebie bottle stating that I'd get hooked on it. That unopened bottle is still in the stash.

Swepco 502 PDS

Last edited:
It could be the lifter has some mechanical issues and not dirt that is causing your problems. If all those products (good products btw) didn't resolve the problem it might be a bad lifter.

Swepco 502 is new to me, never heard of it.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
It could be the lifter has some mechanical issues and not dirt that is causing your problems. If all those products (good products btw) didn't resolve the problem it might be a bad lifter.

Swepco 502 is new to me, never heard of it.

AD

My thoughts as well However, there is another potential tick causer. The Vanos (valve timing) unit. It can make noise when it fails. However, that is more of a marble in a can sound. I will keep after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back