MMO experiment that could use validation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the first post in this thread, I feared the seal may have hardened.

But I did think it unlikely.

Oh OK, I don't see the connection between engine seals and cheap throw away gloves. Someone mentioned toss away gloves decompose so they don't stay in the garbage dumps forever, that makes a lot of sense to me. If MMO caused seals to leak, or fail I think we'd know by now. Or they did one great job of hiding it.

I've been away for a while but see somethings just don't change here.

Yep, I'm thinking it's an element of decomposition.....a lot of stuff nowadays is biodegradable......these werent cheap-o Harbor Freight Nitrile gloves were they? OMG, worst luck with those :X When I told my neighbor, he was like, you're not suppose to get those, they have a "thicker" variation.....apparantly they sell 2 or more "thickness" of Nitril Gloves, and the pack I got was the "cheap" kind......

My dad had Permatex gloves he bought at Auto Barn, they were about 2 years old when I used them, and some of them would rip just putting the stinking things on. These were stored in the unopened boxes in the basement. I think they're designed to decay with time. When new there was no problems with them.

I don't think there is any way to compare a seal on a car with gloves, even if they are made of the same material. The glove may even be engineered to degrade. The seal is designed to last for a while.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I don't think there is any way to compare a seal on a car with gloves, even if they are made of the same material. The glove may even be engineered to degrade. The seal is designed to last for a while.

I guess if you want to judge glove quality it would be a good test. I'd use more commonly used chemicals that you'd use in engines, things like oil, gas, anti-freeze, fuel injector cleaner, etc. to check out different gloves.

Yes, you could test various gloves to see which ones would hold up best to motor oil, gasoline, etc.

Yea, isn't that what we use gloves for? I hate the stink of gas on my hands. I had a few types of gloves let go in gas real fast, oil not so fast. Other gloves held up well in both, knowing which gloves are good and which suck would be helpful.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Within an engine, the motor oil is there to likely help counteract this MMO phenomenon (if it actually exists). But even so, I'd hate to put something in there that the oil has to constantly fight against.

Mix the MMO with some oil and perform your glove experiment again. If the oil/MMO mix causes the same issue then.....

I'm not interested in that at this time. I'm just interested in the effects of MMO on nitrile and possibly other materials.

I'll do it!
I have MMO, motor oil & nitrile golves. Just so you folks are awere...Nitrile Gloves actually have an expiration date on the package and deteriorate all by themselves when just sittin' round for any length of time after that date.

I think that these nitrile gloves are specific to folks that have an allergic reaction to certain types of rubber/nitrile gloves. Brand/chemistry may have a factor with these golves compared to nitrile used in auto parts manufacturing.

I'll report back on my findings(in a week or 2) when using these specific nitrile gloves and different lubes such as (ATF, Oil, MMO, Gear Lube, PB Blaster, Silicone Spray, Gasoline etc.) And, I'll mix some lubes together with the MMO.

IDK how long this will take for each lube/chem to start deteriorate the gloves but, this is why the gloves are "disposable"
smile.gif

Last edited:
So I guess me, Demarpaint, and a few others were correct saying they were designed to break down. Why blame MMO, oil, Kreen,or anything else then? If you're looking for the best gloves, that's cool, if this is to slam any products, I think its a lousy attempt.

Yes, I agree with you ADFD1. I don't have any problem with somebody testing to see which gloves hold up the best to gasoline, brake fluid, motor oil, antifreeze, etc. But there is no real comparison between gloves and seals even if they are made of the same material. And gloves may even be engineered to degrade so that when they are thrown into the garbage they don't stay in the environment for hundreds of years.

A glove is obviously much more flimsy than a seal. A seal is designed to last a long time in an engine. If somebody wanted to test how well a seal holds up to Kreen or MMO or Auto-RX+ for that matter they should test seals and not gloves. And it has to be remembered that even in seal testing for a realistic test more motor oil than MMO or Kreen needs to be used since a person is not going to use 100% Kreen or MMO in the engine (at least I hope not). MMO should be used at a maximum 25% with the rest motor oil. I am not sure about how much Kreen is supposed to be used in motor oil because I have not used Kreen.

As for myself I am rapidly moving away from ALL of these engine cleaners and oil supplements. I think there is decent evidence right now that certain motor oils will keep an engine reasonably clean if used from the time a car or truck is new. And as long as the engine in that vehicle is not a sludge monster or there are some kind of mechanical problems leading to sludge development.

I think I would prefer to use MMO in the fuel. It can be used in the oil of course and at least MMO is cheap and available. But I would try a good cleaning motor oil like PU or Mobil 1 first. Just a good oil might clean the engine well enough.

As for oil supplements I think there are a FEW good ones. Most I think are junk. But even the good ones are probably not necessary if a person uses good quality motor oil. Of course the people here at this website are into cars and like to experiment. Hey, it is your car or truck! Go for it!

If you want to test gloves, test'em, seals test'em. To test gloves to determine what is going to happen to a seal doesn't add up for me.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
So I guess me, Demarpaint, and a few others were correct saying they were designed to break down. Why blame MMO, oil, Kreen,or anything else then? If you're looking for the best gloves, that's cool, if this is to slam any products, I think its a lousy attempt.

The breaking down is altered, though. These things become rock hard and not pliable. If it were just breaking down, it should become brittle and fall apart easier.

UPDATE:
I have set slices of a nitrile glove on an old cookie tray(compliments of my wife) that I use(not misplace) nuts/bolst/screws at my workbench.

I labeled 11 seperate pieces of the nitrile glove and here are the lubes/chemicals that I put on these pieces

Brake Kleen-I keep spraying this over time as it does evaporate
Silicon Spray-This too evaporates so, same as above
ATF(Castrol IMV)
OIL(5W30 OPE Oil)
Gear Lube(Mobil 1 75W90)
MMO
MMO/OIL Mix
Sta-Bil
PB Blaster
My Wifes EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Pennzoil TC-W3(Blue)

The lubes have puddled in the nitrile glove material and I'll keep an eye on things over about 2 weeks and add if necessary.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

The breaking down is altered, though. These things become rock hard and not pliable. If it were just breaking down, it should become brittle and fall apart easier.

It might depend on the brand of glove and the material used. Why not just test engine seals? Wasn't that a major concern of yours?

I think if you did a test using a seal and MMO (mixed with motor oil since it is used maximum 25% with motor oil) and if the seal was damaged, then you have a case that MMO should not be used in an engine because it will damage seals. But testing motor oil with gloves that may or may not be made of the same material as a seal is meaningless. If you want to find out if a seal will be damaged by MMO (or Kreen) use a seal.

Because regardless what happens to the glove in a test, the next step is to test MMO or Kreen on a seal. It seems to me you might as well start out with a seal in the testing and save time and energy.

And if MMO or Kreen do damage seals, why have we not heard about this? MMO at least is a very common product. You can get it at a Wal-Mart Store. Surely there would be some documentation by this time. The product has been sold since 1923.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It might depend on the brand of glove and the material used. Why not just test engine seals? Wasn't that a major concern of yours?

Because this is a simple chemistry experiment. I'm not to the point of caring about seals. If that isn't exciting enough for you, you don't have to follow the thread.

I think if you did a test using a seal and MMO (mixed with motor oil since it is used maximum 25% with motor oil) and if the seal was damaged, then you have a case that MMO should not be used in an engine because it will damage seals. But testing motor oil with gloves that may or may not be made of the same material as a seal is meaningless. If you want to find out if a seal will be damaged by MMO (or Kreen) use a seal.

Because regardless what happens to the glove in a test, the next step is to test MMO or Kreen on a seal. It seems to me you might as well start out with a seal in the testing and save time and energy.

And if MMO or Kreen do damage seals, why have we not heard about this? MMO at least is a very common product. You can get it at a Wal-Mart Store. Surely there would be some documentation by this time. The product has been sold since 1923.

Nobody is saying MMO damages seals. This isn't about MMO in an engine. Please stop bringing it up.

maybe it would be worth looking into MMO's compatibility with materials it would encounter within an engine.

Thanks for the help.

This was a concern of yours from the beginning. It did interest me, that's why I'm following this thread. But I still think the correlation between gloves and engine materials, is like the correlation between apples and hammers. It was proven that gloves were designed to break down.

I'd love to see the results, why not test A-Rx too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back