MMO experiment that could use validation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled upon a property of MMO that caused concern for me. I use nitrile gloves when handling my fluids like oil, ATF, additives, etc. A few months back, I found a nitrile glove I had just left on the work bench instead of throwing away after handling MMO. The parts that had been in contact with MMO were very hard and brittle.

I'm not sure if "nitrile" gloves are the same type of "nitrile" as found in some oil filter ADBVs, but I thought I should check this out further for those interested on here.

I recently ran a simple "test" where I rubbed down a nitrile glove with MMO, another one with PP and one with nothing. I left them sitting on the work bench. After a couple weeks, the MMO glove had severely hardened to the point it felt like a hard brittle plastic. The other two gloves were still as you'd expect.

Would anyone else be able to some time and verify this result on their end?

I'm not overly concerned with this but I found this interesting. If someone could replicate my results, maybe it would be worth looking into MMO's compatibility with materials it would encounter within an engine.

Thanks for the help.

That's somewhat scary....... What about nitrile valve cover gaskets?
crazy2.gif

Point taken, but keep in mind nitrile gloves are not made for constant contact. Degradation is inevitable because their construction is much, much thinner than a AD valve.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That's somewhat scary....... What about nitrile valve cover gaskets?
crazy2.gif

or rear main seals and valve stem seals

Yup!!

Within an engine, the motor oil is there to likely help counteract this MMO phenomenon (if it actually exists). But even so, I'd hate to put something in there that the oil has to constantly fight against.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Within an engine, the motor oil is there to likely help counteract this MMO phenomenon (if it actually exists). But even so, I'd hate to put something in there that the oil has to constantly fight against.

Mix the MMO with some oil and perform your glove experiment again. If the oil/MMO mix causes the same issue then.....

Mix the MMO with some oil and perform your glove experiment again. If the oil/MMO mix causes the same issue then.....

I'm not interested in that at this time. I'm just interested in the effects of MMO on nitrile and possibly other materials.

Why not try it with a Nitrile gasket? Since MMO is never used straight in an engine, try it at a 25% mix with oil as well. I'm happy to report my 1988 E-150 van which has been dosed more times than I can count with MMO uses no oil, and has no leaks. IIRC it has a 25th Birthday coming this May.

If you visit their website, somewhere there they mention having tested the product with all modern gaskets, and seals. I don't recall them testing it with Nitrile gloves though.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why not try it with a Nitrile gasket? Since MMO is never used straight in an engine, try it at a 25% mix with oil as well. I'm happy to report my 1988 E-150 van which has been dosed more times than I can count with MMO uses no oil, and has no leaks. IIRC it has a 25th Birthday coming this May.

If you visit their website, somewhere there they mention having tested the product with all modern gaskets, and seals. I don't recall them testing it with Nitrile gloves though.

Considering you've been using it so long, I'm sure you've got lots on-hand right?

Would you be willing to try this experiment yourself? Maybe with some nitrile gasket material?

Considering you've been using it so long, I'm sure you've got lots on-hand right?

Would you be willing to try this experiment yourself? Maybe with some nitrile gasket material?

I have plenty of MMO no Nitrile on hand though. Question to all the MMO haters here [Not you OVERKILL] it was easier to post it all here. Isn't the valve cover gasket, and the gaskets that cover the panels to access the lifters on an 88 300 I6 Nitrile, or some rubber component? How about the stem seals, if they were shot wouldn't I be using oil? How about the rear main seal? Not even a drop coming from there, or anywhere for that matter.

Maybe the MMO caused my Aerostar's oil pan to rot from the outside in which helped making junking it a little easier. LOL

And here come the MMO sunshine pumpers. This is a simple thread. If MMO caused major problems in the sump, we would know about it. It doesn't. It is not the point of this thread to evaluate MMO mixed with oil.

Please move on or stick to the topic.

Last edited:

And here come the MMO sunshine pumpers. This is a simple thread. If MMO caused major problems in the sump, we would know about it. It is not the point of this thread to evaluate MMO mixed with oil.

Please move on or stick to the topic.

Just showing how invalid your little test is that's all. Does your engine use Nitrile gloves for gaskets? Is MMO used straight in an engine? Get a gasket and test it, as the product was intended to be used. I did the real world testing, 25 years of on and off use in my E-150, no problems.

I know a few products that have to be warm when added to engine oil, that even at 30F they are difficult to pour. Does that make them bad? Or when finally mixed with oil they're just fine.

You said this, I agree: Quote: If MMO caused major problems in the sump, we would know about it.

Last edited:

I have plenty of MMO no Nitrile on hand though. Question to all the MMO haters here [Not you OVERKILL] it was easier to post it all here. Isn't the valve cover gasket, and the gaskets that cover the panels to access the lifters on an 88 300 I6 Nitrile, or some rubber component? How about the stem seals, if they were shot wouldn't I be using oil? How about the rear main seal? Not even a drop coming from there, or anywhere for that matter.

Maybe the MMO caused my Aerostar's oil pan to rot from the outside in which helped making junking it a little easier. LOL

Frank:

The VCG on that should be cork, IIRC. Ford didn't start using rubber until the 90's.

The valve stem seals may be VITON.

Lifter cover panel is probably also cork, if it is original
smile.gif

Just showing how invalid your little test is that's all. Does your engine use Nitrile gloves for gaskets? Is MMO used straight in an engine? Get a gasket and test it, as the product was intended to be used. I did the real world testing, 25 years of on and off use in my E-150, no problems.

I know a few products that have to be warm when added to engine oil, that even at 30F they are difficult to pour. Does that make them bad? Or when finally mixed with oil they're just fine.

You said this, I agree: Quote: If MMO caused major problems in the sump, we would know about it.

You really need to read or move on. Seriously. You missed the entire point of this thread.

Frank:

The VCG on that should be cork, IIRC. Ford didn't start using rubber until the 90's.

The valve stem seals may be VITON.

Lifter cover panel is probably also cork, if it is original
smile.gif

Its all original and never opened up I owned it since day 1. No cork that much I'm sure of. In fact the lifter covers are a black rubber with tabs. I can't speak for the stem seals I never had the VC off.

Is it rubber, or that thick gasket stuff that is kind of hard? I'm surprised if it is rubber, as most of the "oil sealing" gaskets on my Ford's from that vintage have been cork.

You really need to read or move on. Seriously. You missed the entire point of this thread.

Did I? I don't think so. But I'd be interested in seeing a valid test on its impact on gaskets when used as directed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back