MMO: Contains Chlorinated Hydrocarbons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/msds/docs/wcd00043/wcd04377.htm

1,2-Dichlorobenzene" (CAS 95501) C6H4Cl2

Is it not the consensus or expert opinion of many here that Chlorinated Solvents should not be in an engine? For disclosure purposes I am not trying to smear MMO, as a past user myself. Furthermore, perhaps I overread it but the MSDS did not provide % composition of the solvent. Therefore it could very well be a insignificant or majority part of the mix ... I do not know. I have always been along the lines that it is not a harmful additive, it is just the possibility of benefits are controversial. The presence of Cl however is worthy of peer review here. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've seen this MSDS before on another site. It is from 2001.

I'm wondering whether there are several varieties of MMO. The MMO I've been using off and on since the early seventies has always been bright red in color and smells like wintergreen. That's not what they describe on this MSDS.

I use MMO in the fuel now on a couple of my vehicles as a UCL. It seems to be the best I can find for this purpose.

that MSDS is questionable. Not only does it describe MMO as a produce which is unlike what I am used to seeing it as, but it also suggests that the percentages of the three components listed are all zero.

Originally Posted By: outrun
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/102/

I am already emailing him. Thanks for going over this MSDS.

Good luck they never respond to my e-mails...

My company uses Marvel Mystery Oil and I have access to the MSDS through my work.

The MSDS does list chlorinated hydrocarbons, CAS# 95-50-1 at 0-1% by weight concentration.

Napthenic hydrocarbons make up the body at 70-80% by weight, followed by mineral spirits at 20-30% by weight.

I love Marvel Mystery Oil.

Why do you guys use this stuff? Do you really think it will prolong your engine's life? I bet that the million mile van guy never used an "upper cylinder lube".

Try calling them, I spoke to Mr. Kelly nice guy will answer all your questions.

AD

Because I get better gas mileage (added to gas) with it. If it does act as UCL, it is just icing on the cake.
I am running it in a new to me Kia Spectra to clean up the engine. I will dump oil in 400 miles (500 total), and switch to synthetic. MMO will give Syn a good start.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Because I get better gas mileage (added to gas) with it. If it does act as UCL, it is just icing on the cake.
I am running it in a new to me Kia Spectra to clean up the engine. I will dump oil in 400 miles (500 total), and switch to synthetic. MMO will give Syn a good start.

Good luck with your Kia. Sounds like you've got the right idea and are off to a good start! I would suggest running a pint of MMO 1000 miles before your next OC. The great thing about MMO is it can be added to any oil, for cleaning. It mixes with, and works well with all oils dino, and synthetic.

AD

Thank you. I added 8 oz to this fill of oil (previous owner had it changed about 500 miles ago). It put me about 3/16" of an inch over the full mark. I was not comfortable adding more, but 8 oz it better than nothing. I have 5 qts of Synpower that need to be used up, then QS and PP. I will put enough Synpower to bring oil to the half point mark between add and full, so before the next oil change I can add the full 16 oz of MMO.

Just finished running a can of Techron in the gas tank, got my baseline of 23.97 MPG for 100% in-town driving. Added 3oz of MMO to the new gas (14.5 gal gas tank), will see if it is enough or if I need to add more. BTW 9 oz baby bottles are great for measuring out MMO at the gas station!
LOL.gif
Enough to last me 2 to 3 gas refills, depending on how much I will end up putting in.

I love MMO!

I agree that MSDS is most likely for the penetrating oil. Dichlorobenzene would be one heck of a good solvent for grease or sticky-gummy petroleum based gunk.

What happens to the chlorinated hydrocarbons as they run in the oiling system. Chlorine is a bad actor when combined with some atmoshereic moisture. Can become fairly corrosive. I think it was mentioned that the product contained only a small amount, less than 1%. But still, I must ask why have it in there in the first place?

Well, in a reply to another post I said that perhaps MMO was the low cost engine cleaner people have been looking for. But if the stuff contains clorinated hydrocarbons I will not use it. In the end I think that whatever benefits there may be in the short term using clorinated hydrocarbons in the long term it is not worth it. Clorinated hydrocarbons can be dangerous to people (may cause cancer) and ultimately probably cause corrosion.

Auto-RX is safe unless somebody drinks the stuff (even then perhaps not lethal) and seems to get the job done.

Now if MMO DOES NOT contain clorinated hydrocarbons than the stuff might be worth a second look.

Last edited:
I doubt a company that has been selling this product for near 70+ years would still be around. Perhaps there are other chemicals in the formulation that negate certain aspects of the acidic properties of the Chlorine.

I myself have great results with the product. I need to also add that the Chlorinated Hydrocarbon is not "specified" meaning it can be any type/number of varieties. Some more harmful than others. The product is also approved by the FFA for use. I'm trying to find a recent MSDS on it and see what else there is in it that may or may not provide more information.

If I had paid/partially paid for something I would post the results since it is also "mine".

Last edited:
I looked at your thread over in the fuel additive section. I am going to try out a little shot of my Yamaha 2 stoke outboard oil in my next tank of fuel in my 4.8 liter GM motor, just for experimentation. Sometimes in the morning I get a little noise from injectors I believe. Thank for the information Stevie C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back