MMO & Catalytic Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have started using MMO in every tank and I like what I see.

I'm concerned however that it might be poisoning my Catalytic-Converter because of some of the stuff listed on their MSDS sheet.

Thoughts from the users? (Please no bashing...)

Yeah I was wondering the other day about that ..

Last edited:
The DSFM I use from Terry contains only stuff that is O2/Catalytic safe stuff so I'm not worried about that, but MMO's MSDS says otherwise.

Any longtime users experience Cat. failure?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

What do you see? I somehow suspect you haven't come across an additive that you didn't fancy.

I have used MMO in the past relatively frequently in the gas (besides adding it to the oil before an oil change). Both OEM cats are doing fine in my 13 year old car.

Mori,

Thank you for that information... By stating "I like what I see" I mean I'm liking what I'm experiencing with this additive.

I have slightly better mileage, very quiet injectors and a very quiet engine. The engine seems smoother and more responsive. I have tried to experience the difference with/without the additive and I notice a better experience with it. So I assume its not all psychological.

I just want to make sure I'm not protecting my engine at the cost of my catalytic converter by having this stuff burnt in the cylinders and then go through the catalyst system.

There are additives I don't like or that have not worked well for me, I just don't talk about them or bash them like some other members on the board. I only suggest what works for me and what my experiences are. If I don't like something I don't talk about it unless asked. I also don't photo-shop pictures either.
48.gif

Mori,

I saved you the work... Albeit, my Photo-Shop skills aren't as good as yours but I think you get the picture...

This is what MMO does to your Catalytic Converter.
LOL.gif

ccmori.jpg

What stuff listed on the MSDS concerns you? Can you post the MSDS you are referring to? The last one I saw listed the color of MMO as amber. Somehow, that didn't seem accurate to me. So I didn't believe anything else written on the sheet.

I have back to back UOA's (without MMO/with MMO in fuel) on one of my vehicles that shows an increase in P by 200ppm using MMO as directed. This vehicle was a fuel dilutor (no longer own), so this was interesting to me. The only other variable was switching from Chevron Supreme to Shell V-Power fuel (with MMO). The reduction in Pb and Cu wear pleased me, but I've filed away the increase in P for further consideration and evaluation.

Fear not my friend. I have been using MMO via an Inverse Oiler in a 1988 E-150 4.9L Van since around 1989-1990. I had added it to the gas the day I bought it. So basically it's entire life it had MMO in the gas. There were times when MMO was in the gas tank and being fed via the Inverse Oiler. That van will soon be 22 years old and has the original cat converter. I have a 93 Aerostar with 173,000 miles on it, I bought it with about 52,000 miles on it. I never changed the 02 Sensor, or the cat converter. Both vehicles run well, very well, and pass the PIA NYS inspection along with the sniffer test.

Bottom line, don't worry about MMO ruining anything, use it as suggested. I've found in smaller displacement engines a dose slightly less than they suggest might lead to better mpgs. Experiment with it! The product works! Keep us updated on your results.

BTW your cat converter as well as your engine should be kissing the little Gremlin in your picture, because MMO is helping them live a longer life. Maybe you can photoshop that
thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
What stuff listed on the MSDS concerns you? Can you post the MSDS you are referring to? The last one I saw listed the color of MMO as amber. Somehow, that didn't seem accurate to me. So I didn't believe anything else written on the sheet.

I have back to back UOA's (without MMO/with MMO in fuel) on one of my vehicles that shows an increase in P by 200ppm using MMO as directed. This vehicle was a fuel dilutor (no longer own), so this was interesting to me. The only other variable was switching from Chevron Supreme to Shell V-Power fuel (with MMO). The reduction in Pb and Cu wear pleased me, but I've filed away the increase in P for further consideration and evaluation.

Here is a link to the latest one they have: http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/MM010-4.pdf

It doesn't go as in depth as one I read a while back that led me to believe that there were cat-harming chemicals in the product. I think (don't quote me), that Terry Dyson confirmed this as well.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Fear not my friend. I have been using MMO via an Inverse Oiler in a 1988 E-150 4.9L Van since around 1989-1990. I had added it to the gas the day I bought it. So basically it's entire life it had MMO in the gas. There were times when MMO was in the gas tank and being fed via the Inverse Oiler. That van will soon be 22 years old and has the original cat converter. I have a 93 Aerostar with 173,000 miles on it, I bought it with about 52,000 miles on it. I never changed the 02 Sensor, or the cat converter. Both vehicles run well, very well, and pass the PIA NYS inspection along with the sniffer test.

Bottom line, don't worry about MMO ruining anything, use it as suggested. I've found in smaller displacement engines a dose slightly less than they suggest might lead to better mpgs. Experiment with it! The product works! Keep us updated on your results.

BTW your cat converter as well as your engine should be kissing the little Gremlin in your picture, because MMO is helping them live a longer life. Maybe you can photoshop that
thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. The picture I drew with the "Goblin" is more for Mori's benefit. I was giving him a hard time in another thread and thought I would post it here for S&G's.

cheers3.gif

I'm concerned however that it might be poisoning my Catalytic-Converter because of some of the stuff listed on their MSDS sheet.

Thoughts from the users? (Please no bashing...)

I am so glad you brought this up stevie.I use around 1.5-2.0oz every tank as well,but am noticing that the exhaust is starting to have an odd smell??

My exhaust smells different with the additive in versus without it when I first start the car for the day but it's not horrific, just slightly different.

I have access to a gas-analyzer emission machine and I could do a test before/after adding the additive to see what it does to the numbers for HC/NOX/CO but I'm not sure that will tell us anything if it's damaging the Converter.

BTW: They say it won't harm your Catalyst system on their website. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/ (4th from the top) ... and they have been around since 1923, so I guess they know what they are doing... Anyone know if they were ever sued over this or listed on the FTC website?

My exhaust smells different with the additive in versus without it

jrxy1h.jpg

My exhaust smells different with the additive in versus without it when I first start the car for the day but it's not horrific, just slightly different.

I have access to a gas-analyzer emission machine and I could do a test before/after adding the additive to see what it does to the numbers for HC/NOX/CO but I'm not sure that will tell us anything if it's damaging the Converter.

BTW: They say it won't harm your Catalyst system on their website. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/ (4th from the top) ... and they have been around since 1923, so I guess they know what they are doing... Anyone know if they were ever sued over this or listed on the FTC website?

I'd be interested in the sniffer results. All I can tell you is I never had any cat issues. The cat in the 88 E-150 would be long gone by now. Keep an eye on the color of the inside of the tail pipe, mine went from carbon black, short trips, highway mix, to a cleaner looking blackish gray color, same driving habits. I made this observation when I stopped treating the Aerostar for about a month. The tail pipe had gone back to black, then to the blackish gray color when I went back to MMO in the gas.

You are worried about zero..Define "old" and worry about other things like how the non-working rate will be, gas prices, free phones etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back