ML1008, EaO18, T4612 cut open,

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off a Lancer with 8k miles on PYB 5w-20 oil. The filter has a nice tear in it like most of the Purolators.

This is an EaO18 off a 2011 Acadia with 5.5K miles on it running AMSOIL 10w-40.

This filter is off a 2001 Honda with 5k miles on it. It was from a local quick lube shop, running a 5w-20 oil.

Thanks for the cut and post. Is there a reason why the Amsoil filter was only run 5.5k miles, and why the 2011 Acadia was using 10w-40?

The cheapo quickie lube filter looks pretty decent. Actually it looks great compared to the torn Puro.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Thanks for the cut and post. Is there a reason why the Amsoil filter was only run 5.5k miles, and why the 2011 Acadia was using 10w-40?

The cheapo quickie lube filter looks pretty decent. Actually it looks great compared to the torn Puro.

It's got me wondering whether or not the smaller, shorter Puros such as the 14612 and the 14476 managed to escape the tearing issue.

I have a bunch of the EaO's so I'm using them. The AMSOIL 10w-40 was in because so far I have used the OE 5w-30, the AZO 0w-30 and the AEL European 5w-30 and all did OK but the oil was still shot at 5k miles so I wanted to see how the 10w-40 would do. I should get the UOA back by Wed of next week.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

I have a bunch of the EaO's so I'm using them. The AMSOIL 10w-40 was in because so far I have used the OE 5w-30, the AZO 0w-30 and the AEL European 5w-30 and all did OK but the oil was still shot at 5k miles so I wanted to see how the 10w-40 would do. I should get the UOA back by Wed of next week.

Thanks, looking forward to the UOA report. By what criteria were the other oils shot after 5k miles? I'm not familiar with that engine, is it known to be hard on oil? Since you like Amsoil, have you tried the Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 in this application? It's a very stout Diesel oil with an SL rating for gas engines.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Thanks, looking forward to the UOA report. By what criteria were the other oils shot after 5k miles? I'm not familiar with that engine, is it known to be hard on oil? Since you like Amsoil, have you tried the Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 in this application? It's a very stout Diesel oil with an SL rating for gas engines.

Mainly high fuel dilution and the TBN was too low. One of the oils was out of grade as well.

The ML1008 is the L14610 equivalent.

The Amsoil looks good, as I'd expect. However for a 5.5k mi oci very under utilized imo for a 15k mi. rated filter.

And the last filter looks to be a TecSelect, 14612 shorty equivalent, which happens to be a Purolator 'made for' jobber type filter. Very similar to the Quaker State and other jobber type filters with typical consolidation to a shorter/shortest application. That one looks fine for an oci/fci for which it was intended.

Thanks for the pics.

I like the MANN Oil filter out of the bunch.

Amsoils oil filters are very restrictive.. I heard so restrictive they had to pull 1 or 2 off the shelves or remove from website or wherever you buy em.

They seem very simular to a NAPA PLAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back