MKZ or Elantra?

I did. I can’t afford to replace it.
In that case, a used complex luxury car probably isn't the greatest idea? I'm not sure a new Elantra is the best bargain either, but for 5 years you won't have any big problems to pay for at least.
I drove a KIA forte rental for a couple days with the same drivetrain and TBH I didn't know it was a CVT. I didn't beat on it really but it got us around fine. I would recommend getting the smallest wheels available though, as the 18" rims and low profile tires were a bit rough and noisy
What's the newest V6 camry available for new Elantra money? Pretty quick and comfortable and reliable.

Just check out the known issues with the MKZ and reference the service record to see if that particular car has had them addressed. With the proper documentation and maintenance history used cars are a much better deal than new. Even with a lease you are paying for the new car depreciation. Let someone else take that hit.

Z

Just check out the known issues with the MKZ and reference the service record to see if that particular car has had them addressed. With the proper documentation and maintenance history used cars are a much better deal than new. Even with a lease you are paying for the new car depreciation. Let someone else take that hit.

Z
In my opinion, this is the best advise so far.
Id drive the Lincoln for a little while, enjoy it, and then decide if you want to hang on to it, or move onto to something different. All while not completely losing your butt on depreciation.

If you buy the Hyundai and hate the CVT, you're going to take a bath if you turn it over. If you lease it, then you have to suffer with it, or lose your butt on an early contract termination.

MKZ of those two,

However i think you should consider something new even if you have to lease it Ridgeline, Ranger, Edge, Escape and so forth...

Other than an a Maverick which is nearly impossible to get - Ridgeline is really the only competitor to the Santa Cruz right ... do you need the bed?

Maybe not a universal example, and totally anecdotal, but my latest daily driver is a 20 year old car that has a widespread reputation for being unreliable and having expensive repair costs. I (hopefully) mitigated much of these concerns by purchasing an example that had just had the most expensive of the known issues already repaired by the previous owner. The mileage of 116,000 wasn’t off putting either. The car came with detailed extensive repair and maintenance records. What the previous owner hadn’t taken care of had been addressed by the first owner via the car’s warranty.

My view might well be in the minority, but I shy away from used cars with very low mileage. Cars do deteriorate just sitting. A car that’s driven often has a proven reliability. Wearing out a well designed modern engine is not going to happen at 100,000 miles, or even 200,000 miles. Yes, Accessories like starters, sensors, and pumps will fail. But the major parts of a well designed drivetrain are good for 250,000 miles at a minimum. IF, the car is well maintained from the beginning.

So far I’ve had my 2002 Jaguar XKR five years and it now got 179,000 miles on it. My most expensive repair has been a CPU cooling fan. It cost $90 for the factory brand replacement. If I’d searched around for a generic equivalent it would’ve been under $25.

Just one example of used car reliability when it’s been purchased wisely and driven often.

Z

If money is a concern I wouldn't buy anything with more than 4 cylinders unless you actually need a larger car or power for towing etc.

I went from a I6 to an I4 and I'm loving it.

Of the two, I'd get the Elantra. Not due to brand necessarily but if you're needing to finance the car then 95k miles isn't a really good starting point. You're likely to be strapped with payments and repairs simultaneously or the car might be done for before you're even done paying off the loan. That being said, if leasing is what you're interested in I'd take a closer look at cars with a higher residual value. That's not a strong point for Hyundai. Subaru, Honda, and Toyota tend to do well in that arena.

Hello,

Totaled my Santa Cruz. Having a really hard time finding something I like. After hours of searching I have narrowed to two:

2017 MKZ AWD 3.0TT Reserve, 95k miles.

2023 Elantra Limited, 0 miles.

I mean... how? Of all things available, a used 400hp Lincoln and a new Hyundai compact (that makes you depressed) are the only two things you're considering?

Back