MKZ or Elantra?

Cross shopping an MKZ with an Elantra-AND THEN asking this forum what they think of a Hyundai. The morning is starting off entertaining already.
I know! Quite the different cars/brands. I know Hyundai gets knocked on but I’ve never had a bad experience with them. I just wanna vomit thinking about a 2.0NA with a CVT.

The MKZ is a sweet car! A blast to drive. I compare them to the feel of driving a two stroke dirt bike. Crazy insane upper rpm power band that will bark the tires shifting gears:D👍

If I was going to own a Hyundai or Kia vehicle, it would have to be either a Genesis Coupe or a Stinger. The feel of the hardware and construction of those cars is amazing!

I know! Quite the different cars/brands. I know Hyundai gets knocked on but I’ve never had a bad experience with them. I just wanna vomit thinking about a 2.0NA with a CVT.
The 2.0L and CVT is a pretty good match on that car, for what it is. It’s obviously not as powerful as the MKZ or even the Santa Cruz but maybe it’s a good idea to slow things down a bit.

MKZ has a very soft suspension and is great for roadtrips. Decent amount of interior room - feels roomier than the Taurus. I assume the rear cabin area is pretty nice if anybody goes back there since limo companies use these alot. If the radar cruise control is like the fusion, it's pretty smooth or at least better than Mazda and Toyota's implimentation.

What do you want in car though? Going from a small pickup to choosing between a used luxo barge and an economy compact car is a big difference.

How about a new 3.6 Charger? Load it up and it'll have a ton of creature comforts and be a lot more reliable and entertaining than these two options.

How about a new 3.6 Charger? Load it up and it'll have a ton of creature comforts and be a lot more reliable and entertaining than these two options.
I personally would never own an FCA product. The words reliable and anything FCA don't belong together in the same sentence.

Ford TT have a whole list of issues especially when getting up there in mileage. A new Elantra will be boring but working while the MKZ will be fun when it's out of the shop.

The MKZ is obviously more fun to drive and live with. The reliability of a turbo motor with 100k miles is going to be a potentially high cost of ownership. I would normally say the Hyundai is a safer bet, but Hyundai has been playing dirty pool with their warranties lately and their build quality is hit/miss. Some say it even peaked for the entry level cars.

How did you land on these 2 cars?
There are a lot of options in the sub $30k range.

Was the Lincoln ever a rust belt vehicle? Does it have service records from day one?

The three vehicles in question are so different, no one is going to be able to answer this question for you.

If your intent is to spend as little money as possible for 2-3yrs, the Hyundai is probably the way to go.

I've owned a Chevy, an Olds, a Hyundai, a Dodge, a Mercury, and Currently a Ford.
The Hyundai was what I had the longest (8.5 yr, roughly 100k mi) and it provided the Most trouble free service of any of them.
I have owned Jeep, Ford, Saturn, Hyundai, Chevy, Dodge, Olds, and maybe more. (and Triumph, Kawasaki, and Suzuki bikes)
The Hyundai is the only car I have ever had where a manual transmission failed. (around 90k - 100k miles) In fact, now that I think about it, it might be the only car that had a transmission fail.

Anecdotes are fun. lol

I would still take an Elantra over a Versa, though.

Hello,

Totaled my Santa Cruz. Having a really hard time finding something I like. After hours of searching I have narrowed to two:

2017 MKZ AWD 3.0TT Reserve, 95k miles.

2023 Elantra Limited, 0 miles.

Cost will be effectively the same if I lease the Elantra. Do I take the heart thumper 3.0TT even though it has 95k miles. Or the soulless, practical, boring Elantra that's brand new.

I am 70% MKZ, 30% Elantra.
Get a Sonata SE and you'll be much happier with the 8 speed auto, 2.5L dual injected engine. Fuel economy is awesome.

Back