MKZ or Elantra?

Hello,

Totaled my Santa Cruz. Having a really hard time finding something I like. After hours of searching I have narrowed to two:

2017 MKZ AWD 3.0TT Reserve, 95k miles.

2023 Elantra Limited, 0 miles.

Cost will be effectively the same if I lease the Elantra. Do I take the heart thumper 3.0TT even though it has 95k miles. Or the soulless, practical, boring Elantra that's brand new.

I am 70% MKZ, 30% Elantra.

You are comparing leasing to buying. Leasing always seems to be a poor decision unless you can write off the lease for business.

You are comparing leasing to buying. Leasing always seems to be a poor decision unless you can write off the lease for business.
Financing arrangement aside....I personally don't have an issue with leasing. But the thought of that CVT in that Elantra makes me depressed.

How's the reliability on that 3.0 TT?
6F35 or 6F50?
Ford PTU and cabin tech of that generation was pretty weak, whereas the Hyundai will be modern
If it's still under 5/60, you can put Ford ESP on it
Yea the tech is a bit weak but even in 2017 it has Apple CarPlay and adaptive cruise. Two non-negotiable must have's for me.

If I were to get this, I am changing all fluids. Trans, Brake, Coolant, PTU, Differential. If it's got fluid in it, it's getting drained and refilled. The trans, brake and coolant though I will be having the dealer do. Too much of a hassle at home.

And it needs new plugs.

This has the 6F55.

Hyundai is at the very bottom of the list of cars I'd want to own.
I've owned many and really only gravitate towards them because no one can match Hyundai tech. Their Smart Cruise Control and Highway Drive Assist are phenomenal and I cannot imagine ever making a long drive again without them.

I believe the 3.0 TT is now available in the current Explorers which might be a vote of confidence.

FE370271-4A02-4DC7-BBFD-CEAB71FFE44B.jpg

Here is some info from Wiki.

The 3.0 is known as the 3.0 Nano. It morphed from the 2.7 Ecoboost with an increase in bore and stroke. Introduced in 2017 for Lincoln, it was put into the Explorer in 2020 and into the Bronco Raptor and Ranger Raptor in 2022.

View attachment 130627
Nice. I had tried to find the info you're sending but was unsuccessful in finding it. Thank you! This certainly raised my confidence in the durability of the engine. I feel like the EcoBoost line has all in all proven to be stout (Current Bronco issues aside!). Especially the 3.5. I wish this had the 3.5 in it like the Taurus SHO does.

Last edited:
personally, I'd favor the MKZ since I think it would be more fun to spend time in, also knowing it will likely have more quirks at some point. The full fluid and maintenance gauntlet would help you find any other things you'd want to note for future repair/maintenance. BUT - those seem like such limited choices, considering your handle is @GenesisGuy70. You can do better, and avoid a lease. I really wouldn't want a well-used lincoln unless it was being given to me, and then I'd probably enjoy it a long time. But you're paying $$$ for Ford's bleeding-edge features with a smaller sample size than their regular vehicles and potentially more breakdowns of at least the luxury-end components. Head down to carmax and go sit in 20 vehicles. RWD sedans such as another Genesis, late-model 3-series BMW, (i'm partial to the lexus GS - wouldn't mind shrinking to the smaller 2.0T engine). You seem to get a lot of interior quality for the $ with the hyundai/genesis offerings.

Edit: I own the 2.7 and am very pleased with it. It is a smooooooth motor, has minimal turbo lag, and excellent MPG. It also makes GOBS of power. I'd want to make sure the transmission behind it is in reasonable shape. I wonder if the adaptives scan be scanned on the transmission to get a sense of what it thinks its internal clutch wear looks like??

personally, I'd favor the MKZ since I think it would be more fun to spend time in, also knowing it will likely have more quirks at some point. The full fluid and maintenance gauntlet would help you find any other things you'd want to note for future repair/maintenance. BUT - those seem like such limited choices, considering your handle is @GenesisGuy70. You can do better, and avoid a lease. I really wouldn't want a well-used lincoln unless it was being given to me, and then I'd probably enjoy it a long time. But you're paying $$$ for Ford's bleeding-edge features with a smaller sample size than their regular vehicles and potentially more breakdowns of at least the luxury-end components. Head down to carmax and go sit in 20 vehicles. RWD sedans such as another Genesis, late-model 3-series BMW, (i'm partial to the lexus GS - wouldn't mind shrinking to the smaller 2.0T engine). You seem to get a lot of interior quality for the $ with the hyundai/genesis offerings.

Edit: I own the 2.7 and am very pleased with it. It is a smooooooth motor, has minimal turbo lag, and excellent MPG. It also makes GOBS of power. I'd want to make sure the transmission behind it is in reasonable shape. I wonder if the adaptives scan be scanned on the transmission to get a sense of what it thinks its internal clutch wear looks like??
Lots to consider! I have had a couple Genesis cars (G70's) but unfortunately life circumstances inhibit that level of monthly outlay at this time. The rarity of the this specific MKZ is alluring to me. CarFax is clean on the MKZ. Regular OCI, nothing repair wise of concern.

I am not a fan of leasing however I would go with the Elantra. The MKZ will end up costing a lot of money while the Elantra should be good for a many years.

Back