MK7.5 GTi- Oil and Injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, my go-to Injector cleaner was Redline and everyone raved on about it.

I have never owned a DI vehicle and am wondering- is this still the best/some of the best injector cleaner products out there despite the fact that it is DI- or does that simply not matter at all (DI vs port)

Also, I read that VW has changed their oil recommendation for the 19's to a 0W20?? Some say its a typo in the manual, seeing as last year it was the exact same engine and the Golf R which also uses the same engine recommends 5W30/5W40.

Thoughts?

What approval does VW give in the owner's manual?

If you really think the listed approval is incorrect then I'd definitely suggest you contact your dealer.

2019 GTI's call for 508.00 oil
2019 Golf R calls for 0w30 504.00 oil.

Redline SI-1 is fine. But the bottle isn't friendly for dispensing the maintenance dosage. Get a Stabil fuel stabilizer bottle, use that up and refill with the Redline.

Last edited:
Whats happening that you feel the need for a injector cleaner at all? you have a 18+ car no? would seem that top tier premium gas you should be using would make it run clean as possible. Chevron with techron and BG44k seem to be industry standards otherwise if you really feel the need to do anything. And the oil question you answered yourself, the 19 change seems to be driven by MPG as usual, most people seem to agree they are sticking to the original 5W40 plan that VAG has used for these engines forever.... I have a 18GSW and it runs like a swiss watch on steady diet of 93 and heavy right foot....

Injector cleaner on a DI motor will clean the injectors....that's about it. Pick one. I like Techtron and BG44K. Liquimoly makes a good one too.

For the oil, this has been beaten to a pulp/ad-nauseum. Have you read the mega-thread here about it?

Your new 2019 non-R is supposed to take the new 0W20 VW508.00. That's what they call for. The R is still using VW502.00 approval. The motors are similar but not the same. Sounds like the dealers are having issues/confused over the new spec but some are putting 508 in the GTIs etc. I think for DIY if you use the old tried and true VW502.00 5W40/0W40s you are fine but there is always that warranty concern. Also, some info suggests that the oil pump IS different in the 2019s which is being interpreted as being related to the different oil.

2019 R's get this sticker under the hood:

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9312597-Golf-R-oil-weight&highlight=2019+0w30

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Same as the Atlas. 504 oils are low-SAPS and really designed for fuels in Europe and are rated for long-service intervals. That doesn't match the owner's manual I believe which will still call out 502 oils. That oil is somewhat challenging to even find.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Same as the Atlas. 504 oils are low-SAPS and really designed for fuels in Europe and are rated for long-service intervals. That doesn't match the owner's manual I believe which will still call out 502 oils. That oil is somewhat challenging to even find.

Atlas V6 and 2.0T calls for 0w30 502.00 in the owner's manual

Last edited:

Correct, but that has got so many "IFs" as in "if that isn't available you can use XYZ" - VW502 is what is important. My dealer fills mine with 5W40 and that is what I will use once I don't need to be in for warranty work any longer.

Correct, but that has got so many "IFs" as in "if that isn't available you can use XYZ" - VW502 is what is important. My dealer fills mine with 5W40 and that is what I will use once I don't need to be in for warranty work any longer.

How is 0w30 504.00 the same requirement as 0w30 502.00?

My Tiguan is one of the 2019's that got the 508.00 requirement. Kind of limits oil options, Castrol is the only one.

Top Tier fuel should eliminate the need for any additional additives.

Fuel in US now is in line with that in EU.

Originally Posted by edyvw
VW: still in business of not knowing what to recommend to customers.

It seems pretty clear to me. I think the poster above is incorrect about 0w30 502, does that even exist? It should be 504. With low sulfur gas everything will be 504 or 508 in the next year or two, especially as new or revised engines come out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by edyvw
VW: still in business of not knowing what to recommend to customers.

It seems pretty clear to me. I think the poster above is incorrect about 0w30 502, does that even exist? It should be 504. With low sulfur gas everything will be 504 or 508 in the next year or two, especially as new or revised engines come out.

It is not clear. 0W30 VW 502.00 is left over from some Audi materials and actually some Atlas models came with that recommendation.
Also, VW puts one thing in manual and their dealerships are constantly using another thing. There is nothing clear what VW recommends.
OP: Use VW 502.00 or VW 504.00. Forget grade.

The dealership thing is most likely true, I'll give you that. They're probably reluctant to stock a drum of another type. Is does happen to be green though so there's no faking it.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
The dealership thing is most likely true, I'll give you that. They're probably reluctant to stock a drum of another type. Is does happen to be green though so there's no faking it.

VW dealerships according to some members here are using in 2.0T budack cycle engines 5W40 instead of VW 508.00 (not that it is bad actually what they doing).
Also, in Golf R per UG_Passat is VW 504.00 0W30. Since when VW moved to pennzoil as supplier? Which VW dealership stock 0W30 VW 504.00? Tell me to go get it and try in Tiguan.

I'm sure as long as you were running a VW-approved oil, regardless of it being 502, 504 or 508 they are not going to deny a warranty claim. Also, the chances of engine failure are extremely slim anyway.

PEA based additives used regularly are said to have a positive effect on the build up of intake deposits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back