Mk6 Jetta 1.8tsi Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30 4,800m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've own my 2014 Jetta 1.8tsi direct injection since new. This is my first oil report for the car. I wanted to run low saps oils to slow IVD. One oil change I thought I'd just go with what works and then changed my mind again. I'll be running VW 502/505.01 C3 oils until the warranty is up then I'll switch to 504/507 fully.

Details:

@ 5k miles: Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w30
@ 10k miles: Mobil 1 0w40
@ 15k miles: Total Quartz Long Life 504/507 (bought the wrong oil, meant to buy the T.Q. Ineo mc3)
@ 20k miles: Oil reported below

Fuel: Mostly Shell 87
Commute: 26 miles each way, 75% highway
Driving style: I've been told I drive slow but I do get on it now and then.
Goals: Slow IVD formation and hopefully get a 10k oci on this oil. Will a 4.8 TBN allow that? I saw a blackstone VOA for this oil that showed TBN at ~7.4 if I recall.

From Total:

Great to see such low wear #s

My plan for the 1.8T is 5k first and second OCIs, then every 10k (10k, 20k, etc, for easy to remember timing)
I will be running RLI Bio-Plus in the fuel and I'm thinking LC20 in the oil to help (RE: IVD). LC doesn't get much press anymore on BITOG, but seems like a good way to attack deposit potential from the oil side and make me comfortable with 10k mile OCIs in a turbo engine. Oil will be M1 0w40.

This version of the engine is still pretty new - have you heard of any cleanings needed yet? I didn't see much info when searching (VWvortex etc) so far.

You have a 2014 car and it's 2016 and you have only done 4,800 miles -
is this correct?
less than 5k miles in 1.5 to 2yrs?

Then you plan on putting these different oils at those periods -

@ 5k miles: Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w30
@ 10k miles: Mobil 1 0w40
@ 15k miles: Total Quartz Long Life 504/507 (bought the wrong oil, meant to buy the T.Q. Ineo mc3)
@ 20k miles: Oil reported below

Correct?

The oil sent in had 4,800 miles. My cars mileage isn't listed but I'm at roughly 25k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
This version of the engine is still pretty new - have you heard of any cleanings needed yet? I didn't see much info when searching (VWvortex etc) so far.

Not yet but I'm sure they're coming since the motor just released in the US in 2014. The good news is a friend's 2013 Audi 2.0t at 60k had some service work and the valves were pretty clean. He uses just dealer oil. Hopefully the pcv systems are shared between platforms.

Last edited:
I think i read somewhere (will look and link ) that the intake valves have a coating in 2016 to help stop carbon build up.

Originally Posted By: beetleything
I think i read somewhere (will look and link ) that the intake valves have a coating in 2016 to help stop carbon build up.

Yea I heard/read that too but I think they've been doing that for quite some time. Perhaps they've been improving the formula?

Would anyone be willing to go 10k miles with tbn at 4.8 at 4,800 miles on this oil? I have a chart that says the starting TBN is 7.5.

Nice report. The 2.0T has shown high iron on all UOA I have seen. I haven't seen too many of the 1.8T. I would stick with this oil.

I have a 2015 Jetta with the 1.8tsi. I changed the oil and filter at 2500 miles, 10K and 20k--all with Belgian Castrol(5-40W.) My oil report was just fine, in fact Blackstone recommended trying 12k oil changes.

AH ok i see now - you change the type of oil you use every time you have an oil change - so far anyway.

In Reply to -
The oil sent in had 4,800 miles. My cars mileage isn't listed but I'm at roughly 25k.

Last edited:
I plan on using GC 0W40 in my new 2016 Sportwagen come OC time.

I personally think it's more the way you drive as well that helps.

I put my foot down when i can (open highway / on ramps etc. ) and i think it's good to do that - really get the revs up and give it a good blow thru.

Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
Would anyone be willing to go 10k miles with tbn at 4.8 at 4,800 miles on this oil?

With TBN drop not being linear, it probably could make it, although I'd share your apprehension. If TBN is your main consideration for condemning the oil, I think it would be reasonable that you will still be at 1.0 or above at 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
Would anyone be willing to go 10k miles with tbn at 4.8 at 4,800 miles on this oil?
With TBN drop not being linear, it probably could make it, although I'd share your apprehension. If TBN is your main consideration for condemning the oil, I think it would be reasonable that you will still be at 1.0 or above at 10,000 miles.
Agreed; TBN depletion is not linear and it only lost 2.7 in 4,800 miles. I also believe based upon what is shown in the UOA that you would be above 1.0 at 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back