MK1 67 MGB OIL AND COOLER OPINION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I live in Australia. My 67 MGB with 1.8l BMC "B"series engine is fitted with a factory oil cooler. I intend to use a 15w40 mineral oil in it. I feel having a oil cooler is unnecessary for a standard tuned engine of this size and power output Oil technology has moved on and is greatly superior to 1960's. What do people think? Thanks Colin

If the engine has a lot of miles on it and its as hot a climate as I'm assuming the 15W-40 might be a good choice, or a 10W-40 if recently rebuild. Please ignore the inevitable 5W-20 suggestions lol

The only BMC B Series engine to have an oil cooler was the MGB, and maybe the MGA. Plenty of B Blocks in other cars pulling big loads and working harder than an MGB without any problems.

I agree that a modern 15W40 is light years ahead of what they used back in 1967

Talked about a few of them here
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4651716/

You can also get good deals on stuff like GTX UltraClean 15W40 (API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3) regularly through the year
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5014736/

Also don't forget mixed fleet (diesel & petrol engines) HDEOs like Shell Rimula R4 X 15W40, or Caltex Delo 400 or Castrol RX Diesel 15W40. All Good strong oils.

I have had several MGB's starting with a 66. Last one was a 71. All came standard with the oil cooler.

My BIL has a Midget and his buddy had a B and they ran 20W-50 also in the gearbox, I think. Valvoline VR1 you can get anywhere in the US. I got him a case of Brad Penn and he liked that too. Can you get 20W-50 down there?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Randy_R
Can you get 20W-50 down there?

Yes you can, and thicker, it's Australia.

I often ran Penrite HPR 30 (20W60) plus we get a Castrol Edge 25W50, both high ZDDP if that car requires it.

Then you get Penrite HPR40 (25W-70) and HPR50 (40-70) no Winter "W" rating for that last one.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Yea, the "B" ran engine oil in the gearbox.

Same gearbox in the J4 van used EP90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back