Mixing Toyota Red and Pink?

Y_K

2 vehicles in question: 2002 and 2004 Lexus LX470. The older calls for the Red and younger was filled with Pink. Can I use just one for both of them? Does the FIPG (1282B Seal Packing 08826-00100 Silicone Liquid Gasket) need to be applied just in case on both of them? Could I use the Red on both of them instead? I drain radiators annually regardless anyway.

TIA

If you drain annually, I would just use the red. Mixing with pink won’t hurt anything.

2 vehicles in question: 2002 and 2004 Lexus LX470. The older calls for the Red and younger was filled with Pink. Can I use just one for both of them? Does the FIPG (1282B Seal Packing 08826-00100 Silicone Liquid Gasket) need to be applied just in case on both of them? Could I use the Red on both of them instead? I drain radiators annually regardless anyway.

TIA
Toyota superceded the older FIPG to 1282B for coolant applications and FIPG 103(1207B) for oil applications but ThreeBond says it’s OK for use with long-life coolant(Toyota Red and Zerex Asian Vehicle, both use benzoate). 1282B withstands modern pHOAT better.

Toyota says pink can be back-service and red can be used to top off pink with a shorter service interval. But, IME, I added pink to a older red system on a older LS400 and saw the smaller coolant hoses take on a white powdery cast and a little residue in the surge tank.

Reactions: Y_K
Toyota superceded the older FIPG to 1282B for coolant applications and FIPG 103(1207B) for oil applications but ThreeBond says it’s OK for use with long-life coolant(Toyota Red and Zerex Asian Vehicle, both use benzoate). 1282B withstands modern pHOAT better.

Toyota says pink can be back-service and red can be used to top off pink with a shorter service interval. But, IME, I added pink to a older red system on a older LS400 and saw the smaller coolant hoses take on a white powdery cast and a little residue in the surge tank.
TB's application guide shows 1207B and 1282B to have the same level of coolant resistance.

This is contrary to Toyota's info.

258184817_10165607684045005_6314127756056097292_n.jpg

258390039_10165607681360005_1227890179122864042_n.jpg

The red and pink are two different formulations. The pink is not diluted red. You can do some research and verify.

Lot's of things are "OK".

I spent a lot of time researching this exact question as you can see I have the same issue with my fleet. My conclusion
is to use the "red" in the cars that call for it and the "pink" for the cars that call for it. If they were interchangeable why
wouldn't Toyota/Lexus just all convert to "pink"? And only use distilled water when you mix the "red".

is to use the "red" in the cars that call for it and the "pink" for the cars that call for it. If they were interchangeable why
wouldn't Toyota/Lexus just all convert to "pink"? And only use distilled water when you mix the "red".
they have and specifically state you can do so

this is the same company that still uses RTV to seal coolant passages so using red or another ancient short life coolant may actually benefit you in some applications.

Last edited:
they have and specifically state you can do so

this is the same company that still uses RTV to seal coolant passages so using red or another ancient short life coolant may actually benefit you in some applications.
Not where I shop.

I would love to see a document from Toyota/Lexus describing their “ok” with using pink for red. It may be “ok” but not ideal. That’s my point. I want to stay with “ideal” and not just “ok”.

The red and pink do not share the same chemistry.

You have to remember Toyota/Lexus have lifetime ATF’s according to Toyota/Lexus and some dealers won’t even change the ATF.

Toyota had a TSB stating they are miscible at the cost of longevity. Some believe that the Red is easier on the sealant and there was another TSB about that.

Back