Mixing POA with ESTER

Mixing oils is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

But no engine oil is full pao or full ester, one is likely to shrink seals, the other to swell seals. PAO is not polar, so the anti wear chemistry can be chosen with low polarity aswell, while Esters are polar by nature, and the anti-wear chamistry needs to be more polar to be effective. You risk that the additives in the PAO oil will be defunct in the mix...

I have small quantities left over oil from previous changes. So want to use them up for a change to make up the quantity. One is Mobil 15w50 (POA?), the others motul(ester) and petronas (??)
ps these are for motorcycl application. The bikes have run on all three previously

I have small quantities left over oil from previous changes. So want to use them up for a change to make up the quantity. One is Mobil 15w50 (POA?), the others motul(ester) and petronas (??)
ps these are for motorcycl application. The bikes have run on all three previously
Motul 300V or just regular Motul?

it is 300V, mobil 1 FS15w50 (EU product) and petronas sprinta F900.
These are all premium products and I wouldn't use them in a lawn mower even if I had one;)

it is 300V, mobil 1 FS15w50 (EU product) and petronas sprinta F900.
These are all premium products and I wouldn't use them in a lawn mower even if I had one;)

Those are some pretty different chemistries, I'd avoid mixing them personally.

thanks everyone
Since there is no clear winner:), I will use up the leftovers on my single (yam XT660) which is an adventure bike with a 🤞tough and bulletproof engine.

Back