Mixing Old Oil with New Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay with me guy's....The oil in our oil pans is clean....right? What are your thoughts of dumping an oil with 1000 miles and mixing with another new oil for use in another cars old engine? Transmission went bad and car not worth putting any dollars into... The oil only has 1000 miles on it. The oil was a syn/dino blend...

Good? Bad? why? why-not?

spaz.gif

Oil is too cheap to mess with it like that. Besides, the act of draining it and transferring it over will undoubtedly add dirt. If you are going to scrap the old car, you might get a couple more bucks if you can show that the engine runs. Oil would be helpful for that.

How do you know the oil is not tainted with coolant or another contaminate? You'd be better off with a cheap virgin dino like Supertech than used oil that may be contaminated.

These answers are fair responses....Ok, let's say the oil was still clean and filtered into jugs...Heck, it does not even have a thousand miles on it. It still is semi-clear. Engine never used a drop of oil or antifreeze. We go 5 thousand miles now on dino before we change it. How bad can clean/thousand mile oil be? Any deeper thoughts on this subject?

I'll echo what the others have said-if it were mine I'd use the cheapest conventional I could buy under those circumstances. Re-use oil in a vehicle that I depend on? Nope.

The only place I might consider using it would be some lawn and garden equipment. But again, with oil so cheap, why? Given the time it takes to be "filtered into jugs" it's not worth the hassle. And as Big Al said, you'll likely get more for the old car if the engine runs (it won't without oil). So from a monetary standpoint, you're most likely ahead by leaving it in there.

As a one time event it is not worth the effort. As an overall oil change program people have done this for years.

I used to have 3 cars. New one, decent one, and a beater. All of the new oil went into the new car. Drain oil from the new car went to the decent car. Drain oil from the decent car went into the beater.

What was the result? The new car ran the first 1,500 miles on the oil. The decent car ran from 1,500 to 3,000 miles on the oil. The beater went from 3,000 to whatever. Actually worked pretty good.

Good Points....and Extra Good Point Ugly 3, I guess I am trying to prove a point. We take used oil and filter it and mix it with diesel and run it thru a tiny fuel injector nozzle. We throw away oil that still has lube capabilities. Where does all the used oil go? Here in Idaho, our county saves the oil to burn in a Church furnace to heat a building. I have seen other posts about recycled oil products. We are now switching to synthetics that last longer and still dump it. A very respected person on this site said Synthetic Oil never wears out, it only becomes contaminated. I really think we need to change our used oil habits and I would like to see someone that has used recycled oil the life of the engine respond to this. And someone that has done an analysis of that used oil....I heard that a company has a contract for all the used oil that Nascar racers dump...Anyone care to elaborate on these issues?

I give LCM a lot of credit for not just saving some money, but helping out with our natural resources. I see no problem with secondary use of the oil.

I'd like to hear more on the Church furnace. Is it similar to this: Omni waste oil heater

Ditto - I would love to hear more about the waste oil heater.
As far as using the old oil. If you're like unto myself and likes to use everything until it's completely worn out, here's what I would do.
1. Wait until the oil in your present daily ride is ready for a change. Drain that oil at proper time into a clean container.

2. Drain the good, 1,000 mile oil out of the dying car, (car with a bad tranny) into a clean container. Make sure you do not allow any dirt or grit into this oil.

3. Pour the 1,000 mile oil into your daily ride and replace the filter. Top off with good, fresh oil, (a 15W40 would be my choice).

4. Pour old worn out oil from your daily ride into dying car. If needed, top off with old oil from another change.

5. Sell dying car to some kid in the neighborhood as a good "fixer-upper." Or put it in the paper as a "good for parts car" car.

All are happy.
Basically, you know you want to do it. Even though you're saving only a few bucks - a penny saved is a penny earned - right? And even if you're not doing it for the money but for the joy of swapping some oil and doing a little "experimenting" - Hey, there's joy in that as well. I think bottom line what you're asking is - will it hurt your car? Bottom line - no, as long as no sand, dirt or grit get in the oil and you remember to change it 1,000 miles sooner than you normally would have, (due to it being a thousand miles old).
To be honest, I have a car in the back that has 700 mile oil in it that my daughter wrecked a few months back. Tomorrow is oil changing day at our house. Hummmmmmm

I know of a poultry farmer around here who burns used motor oil to heat his chicken houses.

I know him personally, but have not talked to him about this. Only reason I know he does is I asked the guy at the city's recycling center who picks the oil up and he told me.

I too hate to throw anything away. It's not the few dollars new oil would cost, if I'm reading this right, it's the principle of wasting what is still good oil.

Well, I think you're quite right. It is still good oil, and if you're careful about keeping it clean there's no reason not to use it in another car.

If everybody felt the same way about using resources carefully we'd have MUCH lower resource use of all kinds. That would be a GOOD thing, despite the superficial economic conventional wisdom that making, selling and using more stuff is "good" for the economy.

- Glenn

This is one thing to do with using old oil, but the problem, and it IS a problem, is that larger vehicles are being driven than need to be.

In the DC area, and anywhere there is a high concentration of the well-to-do, folks are driving around one and two passengers to a vehicle in behometh sport utes when a much smaller vehicle will do. These things burn 12, 15 mpg, pollute more, destroy most any car in their path in a crash (while not really being terribly crashworthy in and of themselves in spite of the false contention that they're "safer"), and take many times more resources to build than a car to begin with. In short, they're a nuisance. There's no denying it, polishing it up, or explaining it away.

That folks are free to buy them, drive them, and waste away doesn't justify it. Plus, 99% of em are simply a "look at me" statement. They aren't driven off-road, and rarely carry more than a couple or three people, around here anyway. They are a blight. Almost all of them aren't "needed", they're wanted. There's a difference.

In addition, our guys are by necessity fighting and dying by the thousands over there for the oil (and that IS what they're doing, by extension), and we're needlessly burning crude at prodigeous rates when we should be saving it for aviation, fertilizers and plastics for which there IS no substitue. We shouldn't be burning one drop of oil for electricity, either. It should ALL be generated by nuclear. Greenpeace should be ashamed.

And, we're providing those fascist mopes with the capitol with which to cause trouble the world over. Iran's upcoming nuclear capability is a case in point. Do I advocate the banning of Sport Utes? Nope. Everyone that hogs the gasoline that way has the right. Have at it.

In turn, the rest of us have the right to heap scorn upon them. We're paying a terrible price for the vanity of fools, and will regret it in the future one way or another. The little things you doods are proposing is good, but hardly effective absent other measures. Hey, if I'm wrong with any of this, I'm all ears. Show me where.

Ok, I'll climb off the soapbox now. An associate's nephew died over there last week, and things are starting to hit pretty close to home these days.

quote:

What are your thoughts of dumping an oil with 1000 miles and mixing with another new oil for use in another cars old engine?

Why change at 1000 miles if the oil is still clean with good additives at 1000 miles?

I understand his car is used up and will be put to pasture. He simply wants to salvage the semi-synthetic oil from it for continued use in another vehicle.

Toocrazy
The only good thing about the low mileage vehicles is they pay a ton of road use and fuel taxes. These tax dollars are very precious to our hired help (elected representitives) in Washington D.C. (I'm ready to fire some of our hired help. They have forgotten who hired them)

At least we get some money back from the rich in a format they can afford and are willing to spend. Yes, the poor get caught up in this too. Bio diesel and ethanol are coming. Good, bad or ugly they are coming. kwg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back