mixing oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that 5w300 oil is too thick!
smile.gif

Seriously, you'll be fine.

Why mix though? If you want a slightly thicker oil, go with one of the high mileage 5w30s out there, they are all close to 40wt oils.

Mix -n- match all you want, as long as the oils you use are acceptable for that engine.

I had a beater truck for a few years that I gave it all my leftovers. It never seemed to care.

Cheers, 3MP

hey patman

I've been putting pennzoil high mileage 5w30 in a 96 pontiac sunfire 2.2 liter engine with 92k miles on it. It's burning the pennzoil high mileage 5w30 at a quart every 1200 miles. the engine calls for 5w30. Since the weight is almost a 40wt, any problems going to 10w40 high mileage even? I want to go thicker since summer is coming.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
hey patman

I've been putting pennzoil high mileage 5w30 in a 96 pontiac sunfire 2.2 liter engine with 92k miles on it. It's burning the pennzoil high mileage 5w30 at a quart every 1200 miles. the engine calls for 5w30. Since the weight is almost a 40wt, any problems going to 10w40 high mileage even? I want to go thicker since summer is coming.

Why do you want to go even thicker? Just because of the oil burning? A thicker oil might slow down the rate of consumption, but it also might increase engine wear also, as I don't believe your engine needs a 40wt oil. But without seeing oil analysis results, neither of us really knows for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back