Mixing oil - Dino and synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 different vehicles and frankly don't keep track of what oil goes where. I use whatever brand name is on sale at the time and that usually varies between Castrol GTX, Pennzoil and Valvoline. I change it at 3000 or less. When I add oil to the vehicles, I add whatever I have at the time, so I may add Pennzoil to the vehicle with Valvoline.

Now, I am thinking something else - I want to make my own custom blend of synth. Maybe half Mobil 1 and half Pennzoil? I understand that it is not a good idea to mix brands, but given that synth. does not have detergents, would it get any benefits?

[ October 18, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: pacem ]

Stick with one brand if your going to mix. Most oils are compatible with each other but mixing certain oils just isn't a good practice. You can end up with additive clashes. Mixing synthetic with dino is a waste of time and oil. Use one or the other. It really makes no sense doing that IMO. I'd use Mobil 1 Drive Clean Blend Plus if you want a blend otherwise, stick with Pennzoil dino. Good oil.

quote:

Originally posted by pacem:
*-*-*-*-*-* When I add oil to the vehicles, I add whatever I have at the time, so I may add Pennzoil to the vehicle with Valvoline.

Now, I am thinking something else - I want to make my own custom blend of synth. *-*-*-*-*-

A. Try to stick with the same oil when adding, and if not the exact oil then one in that line and type. Additives CLASH when they have to compete, and they all compete, that is why the oil companies spend a lot of R&D finding what they can do to tweak... There are very few IMO, additives to add that will do a good job working for you, most work against the oils chemistry...
Wht you will end up doing IMO, is like opening the kitchen sink doors and just at random grabbing three different chemicals, and MIXING them and expecting the MIX to do what you wan't.
Sure you can PLAY around all you want, we all have, but BEWARE, you are taking your engines life into your own hands (with how much experience and chemistry background?).

B. If you are serious and intent on doing this then at least do this.
1. Run two or three or better four samples with at least two changes of the primary oil in your blend as a whole.
2. Then one at a time, for the same period of say four samples in two drains, remove a specific amount of the oil and add the other oil.
Example: Engine takes 4.5 quarts, place 4 quarts of primary oil in, and .5 of the "other oil" and work on this means to determine if the oil is working for your car or not. Cavet...
buyer Beware!!!

It sounds kind of scary, I probably won't do it then.

I might mix mobil 1 if I start runnning it, but all I am running at the moment is plain jane Pennzoil 10w-30.

quote:

but given that synth. does not have detergents, would it get any benefits?

All motor oils have detergents except for pure racing oils.
smile.gif

You would be wasting money by mixing syn and non syn. Unless you want to go with Pure Synthetic and be able to extend your drain intervals. I would just stick with Pennzoil, Castrol, Motorcraft, or Chevron Supreme. Just another opinion though.
smile.gif

Wow Al I didn't read that before:

quote:

but given that synth. does not have detergents, would it get any benefits?

We need some edumacatin' goin' on. Pacem - you need to be reading here for awhile.

The just dump whatever oil in is for a beater mentality. I mean there are reasons Ferrari and Hyundai don't just say: "Wait until oil light comes on and dump in whatever oil you have in your garage....."

That said I believe their are a few folks on the board that could properly blend say a 15W-40 synthetic (say Amsoil) and a decent 15W-40 dino (say Pennzoil LL) and carefully monitor the situation.

Al - even some pure racing oils have some level of detergents, but your statement was great. I was agreeing with you. Pacem has some kind of misconception going on in his brain.

quote:

It sounds kind of scary, I probably won't do it then.

I might mix mobil 1 if I start runnning it, but all I am running at the moment is plain jane Pennzoil 10w-30.

I've known several guys on Tacoma pick-ups that have gone 400-500K with plain Jane Penn. 10w-30, before they rebuilt. Those that do flushes once and awhile, I've met and been one myself to go much higher in a gasoline engine. This is not to say there is no wear or no problems, but it can be done with care.

You have no reason to be afraid. Jusj keep in mind
that the performance created by selectly blending an motor oil is due to the combinations of properly formulated base-stock,and the additive chemistry, and VII's.
When you play chemist there can and is in most cases IMO, a clash, because there is one additive in the package for instance that is outs balance with the rest, could be beneficial or not, point is use a GOOD BASE-LINE on the main oil you plan on using for the blend, then if you add anything, you can tell with a properly running engine, if it helped the numbers or not.... but it is at your risk. I've played around and had good and bad results, in the long run though if the reports show good to nice results, then you can do just about IMO, whatever you want... Just be careful and monitor the results.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
...mixing certain oils just isn't a good practice. You can end up with additive clashes.

Yeah, right. Every oil marketed to civilian consumers in the U.S. has to also meet military specs that include compatibility in the event they may be diverted during a national emergency. Don't bet on a motor pool supply sergent worrying about what brand(s) go into the general's staff car. "Additive Clash" is a much overwroght concept that has little basis in fact nor has it had for over 40 years. The compataibility issue is even less an issue with the shift toward Group II and Group II+ base stocks under way.

You' not correct Ray, if what you mean is that one oils additives can not and do not interact with another. No way possible they don't react and do so either for the good or bad.
Please don't try to tell Me that.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
...mixing certain oils just isn't a good practice. You can end up with additive clashes.

Yeah, right. Every oil marketed to civilian consumers in the U.S. has to also meet military specs that include compatibility in the event they may be diverted during a national emergency. Don't bet on a motor pool supply sergent worrying about what brand(s) go into the general's staff car. "Additive Clash" is a much overwroght concept that has little basis in fact nor has it had for over 40 years. The compataibility issue is even less an issue with the shift toward Group II and Group II+ base stocks under way.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
... You' not correct Ray...

You're entitled to whatever opinion you wish, Robbie. If you want to call people wrong whose sources you disagree with, then present evidence to the contrary instead of regurgitating popular urban myth. If you just want to argue, then argue with the mil-specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back