Mixing more than two types of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the next oil change of Ford 500, I'd like to use various leftovers I have in the garage:

Valvoline Nextgen 5W20: 4 quarts
Valvoline SynPower 0W20: 1 quart
G-Oil synthetic 5W30: 1 quart

Also, Pennzoil Ultra 0W20: half quart... perhaps for topping off. Does this sound alright, or do I need to add anything?

Wont cause any harm, all API oils have to be able to mix with each other.

It might not be as 'optimised' as using one oil throughout but it wont harm anything.

Im currently using a mix of Redline, Millers NT, Gulf Racing, and M1 with a bottle of mos2 in there just for good measure
smile.gif

(Subjectively, the valvetrain is quieter on this mix than any other oil I tried. This is my first 'blend', btw)

Frankenbrews are no problem whatsoever. Don't pay any attention to anyone who even mentions that additive clash nonsense.
Every used oil analysis I've seen done with a frankenbrew the oil held out just fine and metals were lower than average not that that in particular means much.

I mix weights and grades all the time. If I can help it, I stay within manufacturer and/or stay with addpacks that seem similar via VOA/UOA from this site.

Just mixed some Platinum 0w-20 w/ Shell Formula 10w-40 to a 30 weight since I had to use these bargain oils up for a chevy 5.3. Will be mixing two other freebees up, nextgen 5w-30 w/ Peak 10w-40 for a heavy 30 weight for VW Jetta 2.Slo for the winter.

Mix away!
I started mixing oils in the early 70's when I had no money and a clunker. I'd mix 5 different brands & grades just to have an oil change.

Today, I mix differently! I usually mix 2 qts SYN w/ 3 qts DINO and make my own blend.

No, I'm not trying to outthink the engineers, I am just trying to use my oil stash efficiently!

I did it in a few beaters over the years, long before my Bitog days, with no problems to report. In fact I did oil changes strictly based on miles and not time before my Bitog days. In one vehicle I switched back to that practice, after moving full circle. Carry on.

Optimal? No. Generally safe? Yes.

As others said, API certified oils must be mixable. You could get some additive-pack clash, but as long as you're not going nuts with the mixing, you'll do fine.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
For the next oil change of Ford 500, I'd like to use various leftovers I have in the garage:

Also, Pennzoil Ultra 0W20: half quart... perhaps for topping off. Does this sound alright, or do I need to add anything?

Try to mix beer, wine, rum and tekilla on your next party. Just because of you have them in a bar. I don't want to be in your shoes next morning...
Main question: what for?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Frankenbrews are no problem whatsoever. Don't pay any attention to anyone who even mentions that additive clash nonsense.
Every used oil analysis I've seen done with a frankenbrew the oil held out just fine and metals were lower than average not that that in particular means much.

My lord, as good as it gets.

I am beginning to think there should be a sticky that says something to the effect of 'Frankenbrews are acceptable....if you are using the spec'd weights for your vehicle'.

I have been mixing oils on oil changes since 1963. Guess I have just been lucky as I have never had an oil related engine problem. Use whatever you have on hand.

Mix away with oils that meet the manufactures' viscosity and specification range.

The API rating of "SN" requires oils that are compatible with each other.

Originally Posted By: Olas

It might not be as 'optimised' as using one oil throughout but it wont harm anything.

Im currently using a mix of Redline, Millers NT, Gulf Racing, and M1 with a bottle of mos2 in there just for good measure
smile.gif

(Subjectively, the valvetrain is quieter on this mix than any other oil I tried. This is my first 'blend', btw)

COOL!

But, I'd better not hear ANY flak from anyone for my Red Line and Sustina mix after reading this!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Olas

smile.gif

COOL!

But, I'd better not hear ANY flak from anyone for my Red Line and Sustina mix after reading this!!
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe growing up in a poor household rubbed off on me in more ways than I remember, but, When Redline costs £10/litre and I have a litre left over from the last oil change there's no way I'm throwing it away! Same goes for the other oils too - a leftover litre cost me too much to just throw it away!
BTW - I forgot to mention there's a litre of Maxlife in there too
smile.gif

The Nextgen and the Synpower share the same add pack, so you'd really just be using a DIY Durablend.
The Ultra and the G-Oil would add a little moly to the mix.
No harm at all in what you propose to do.
Plenty of people mix oils either by design or by default and I've never heard of anyone experiencing engine damage as a result.
As others have noted in other threads, you're blending oils every time you do a change with something different, since at least some of the old oil is undrainable and remains in the engine.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: Zako2

Try to mix beer, wine, rum and tekilla on your next party. Just because of you have them in a bar. I don't want to be in your shoes next morning...
Main question: what for?

Mixing beer and wine, is like mixing oil with brake fluid. That's not what I asked
smile.gif

Last edited:
My specific blends I've done are:

in my Chevy van (305ci): 4qt mobil super 5w30 with 1qt m1 5w30. I'm hoping that is in every way better than straight Super dino;

And in my turbo Subaru, all m1, but blending 3qt (or more) 5w30 with 0w40 to get to 4.5 qt total. The hope is I get slightly better visc after any shear, without getting too thick. Again, the hope is this is in every way better than straight 5w30 m1, here in hot Texas summers. The urban legend is that m1 5-30 sux in Subaru turbos.

But I'm ready for someone to flame me on this. I actually want to get away from Mobil but not throw away the 7 qts of m1 5w30 (I hope to sell the Chevy soon, so can't see dribbling the 5-30 out only in it. I may not even do one more oc before saying goodbye.).

It's the peer pressure on the Subaru, including from my mechanic, that makes me question the m1. And that car I plan to keep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back