Mixing Mobil 1 synthetic with walmart supertech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about mixing 1 quart of 10w30 full synthetic mobil 1 with 4 quarts of 10w30 super tech dino for creating a synthetic blend? I have been running supertech semi synthetic 10w30 in my ford aerostar for a while, it has been running great. Recently walmart increased the price of the st semi synthetic from $1.63 to $1.74 per quart, so i'm not going to run it anymore. Will it be ok to mix the mobil 1 with the st dino?

Wouldn't make any sense since you are purchasing a quart of synthetic oil. Why not buy a quality dino with esters since your total cost would be about the same.

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
Wouldn't make any sense since you are purchasing a quart of synthetic oil. Why not buy a quality dino with esters since your total cost would be about the same.

Good Point. Only one I am aware of is Castrol's new Start Up, but does it have much ester. Or maybe Schaeffers makes one. Also, you probably could get a (presumably) better dino, say Citgo Superguard maybe.

If what I read is true as Exxon/Mobil is the supplier for Supertech it might be a good combo...Good Idea...

I think a quart of Redline would be even better than the quart of M1.

With the Moly and esters I'd go with Redline if Exxon/Mobil is the supplier for Supertech.

I still like the Redline, but if you want PAO (M1) mixed with Dino, try Valvoline Maxlife. It is dino with 12 to 22 percent PAO (if I read the MSDS CAS number correctly).

I think it would work well.Try a UOA if you really want see whats going on with this cocktail of oil.

If the primary issue here is cost - an increase of 10 cents a quart - something tells me adding a quart of Redline to a good dino oil won't be what the original poster is looking for. IMO, if you like what you have been running, you're not saving anything by adding a quart of synthetic to conventional oil. Just bite the bullet and pony up the extra 50 cents it will take to get the oil that's proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back