Mixing Mobil 1 synthetic with walmart supertech.

What do you guys think about mixing 1 quart of 10w30 full synthetic mobil 1 with 4 quarts of 10w30 super tech dino for creating a synthetic blend? I have been running supertech semi synthetic 10w30 in my ford aerostar for a while, it has been running great. Recently walmart increased the price of the st semi synthetic from $1.63 to $1.74 per quart, so i'm not going to run it anymore. Will it be ok to mix the mobil 1 with the st dino?

Wouldn't make any sense since you are purchasing a quart of synthetic oil. Why not buy a quality dino with esters since your total cost would be about the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamala Bay: Wouldn't make any sense since you are purchasing a quart of synthetic oil. Why not buy a quality dino with esters since your total cost would be about the same.
Good Point. Only one I am aware of is Castrol's new Start Up, but does it have much ester. Or maybe Schaeffers makes one. Also, you probably could get a (presumably) better dino, say Citgo Superguard maybe.

I think a quart of Redline would be even better than the quart of M1. With the Moly and esters I'd go with Redline if Exxon/Mobil is the supplier for Supertech.

I still like the Redline, but if you want PAO (M1) mixed with Dino, try Valvoline Maxlife. It is dino with 12 to 22 percent PAO (if I read the MSDS CAS number correctly).

I think it would work well.Try a UOA if you really want see whats going on with this cocktail of oil.

If the primary issue here is cost - an increase of 10 cents a quart - something tells me adding a quart of Redline to a good dino oil won't be what the original poster is looking for. IMO, if you like what you have been running, you're not saving anything by adding a quart of synthetic to conventional oil. Just bite the bullet and pony up the extra 50 cents it will take to get the oil that's proven.