Mixing Mobil 1 supersyn with conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would conventional motor oil be improved very much if some Mobil 1 supersyn was mixed with the conventional oil-kind of like using the Mobil 1 as an oil supplement. Would any problems be cause because of this? I was thinking about using one quart of Mobil 1 supersyn with three quarts of Chevron oil of the same viscosity.

If I were going to do "backyard blending", I'd use Redline vs. Mobil 1 since it has so much Moly. 1 qt of Redline has as much Moly as 5 qts. of most other oils.

I have no idea if Redline and Chevron Supreme would compliment each other or have "additive clash".

DIY oil formulas sounds fun but there's probably more to it that the meets the eye.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Would conventional motor oil be improved very much if some Mobil 1 supersyn was mixed with the conventional oil-kind of like using the Mobil 1 as an oil supplement. Would any problems be cause because of this? I was thinking about using one quart of Mobil 1 supersyn with three quarts of Chevron oil of the same viscosity.

It's probably a waste. I think that the Chevron now has moly. Chevron has given very good results on its own.

boxcartommie22 concept is interesting. Adds moly to the Delvac 1-plus more esters. I'll have to give that one some thought.

IMO, mixing different brands is no good. I'd only mix oils of the same brand that use similar chemistry like M1 SS 10w-30 with 15w-50. Even then you really don't know what your getting. You can mix M1 with conventional oil, but all your doing is reducing M1's abilities. I think it's a waste.

If you are going to mix anything, please do an analysis on it to see how it works out. Not all mixing will be a problem, and the UOAs will let you know if the recipe you've chosen is good or not.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
iam mixing 1 qt of redline 15w 40 to 5 qts delvac 1 5w 40

I'd rather add Schaeffer #132 to the D1 instead of the Redline...lower cost and made to mix...but I wouldn't add anything to a fine oil like Delvac 1.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
If you read the labels on the motor oils they can be mixed with out any problems.

Does the resulting mixture offer better engine protection than either single oil? The additive-package suppliers, Chevron-Oronite, Lubrizol, Infinium, Ethyl Corp., develop packages of additives to be blended into base oil. We do not know which oil has which add-pac, and do not know if mixing add-pacs gives better protection, no difference, or diminished protection.

Ken

won't cause any damage better or worse? can't be worse than the old cooked oil that comes out. The additives are more or less the same stuff. What about the companies buying adds.from the lowest bidders .What abouts reports of out of spec. oils. What I'm trying to say is the oils are made so they can be mixed .

[ April 19, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back