Mixing Mobil 1 High Mileage with Mobil 1 AFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use M1 HM 5w30 in a couple of older Camrys with slightly weeping rear mains. After our brutal temps last winter (both of these cars sit outside), I was thinking about mixing up to 50% M1 0w30 AFE with the HM during the upcoming winter.
With already leaking seals, I hate to abandon the HM formula altogether.
Any thoughts on this plan?

haha...yes, might foam right out of the air vents!
I'm just mainly wondering if this makes good sense. Surely would pump a little better when zero degrees cold (especially since HM is always on the thick side)...but still have some seal conditioners. Right?

im pretty sure all sm or sn or both oils are supposed to mix. I don't see a big problem. I wouldn't do it more than a couple times. I'm a one type at a time kinda guy but I do know a few guys on here are die hard mixers.

Good points, thanks.
BTW, abycat, what do you use in your '94 F150 up there in the AB winters?

I have 5w30 hovoline in it right now. I had 5w20 penzoil platinum in it before and for this winter I got some 5w20 pyb. last winter I plugged it in for the first 2 months then stopped. I got a pan heater and block heater. got a battery warmer for this year. really could see the difference. my power steering was the worst in the cold. It was soooo loud. worked the same as in the summer but man was it loud.

I don't like your plan. M1's HM oils are pretty heavy-for-grade. Mixing in AFE At 50% will still yield a fairly heavy 30-grade.

All oils have seal conditioners but the HM oils have more. Use AFE or the vanilla M1 5W-30 for winter. Come spring, switch back to the heavier HM.

Last edited:
5W-30 M1 HM will work fine all by itself. So will MaxLife on older Camrys. Whatever gains you get by mixing, if any, will be negligible.

You can try mixing a quart or two of Toyota 0w20 with M1 5w30 HM instead. You will need lesser amount of the 2nd oil this way, least dilution of the HM additives.

For eg, assuming a 5 qt sump :

Mixing 1.5 qts Toyota 0w20 + 3.5 qts of M1 HM 5w30 , will result in a approximate VI index of 179 compared to 165 of M1 HM by itself.
High VI helps with cold starts.
The resulting mixture will still be within the Viscosity requirements of a 5w30 weight oil.

EDIT: I would like to mention this is a version of a Mix that was created by another member here, its called the Catheram blend. So all props and credits to him.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with mixing. You could just run the AFE 100% and keep an eye on oil level. Switch back to HM in the spring.

Castrol 0w30 is thick and worth a try. Lucas, Amsoil, Redline, Motorcraft, ... have 0w30's

Try some ester treatment to condition the seals. Lubegard Biotech and AutoRX can sometimes stop seal leaks.

I don't see a problem running a high mileage oil all year. If that bothers you try M1 AFE and a bottle of LG Biotech Engine Protectant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back