Mixing Mobil 1 0w20 with 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: doublebase
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Easy fix just change your oil at 5000 miles with the correct grade.

Well done you asked and answered your own question.
Oil is cheap and it is recycled.

Use your spare time to meditate on more important things.

Excellent, now that that's settled ........................................

I forgot to mention I drive 35,000 miles a year and my car takes 9.1 quarts of synthetic...with filters that amounts to...roughly $455 dollars...or almost double that if I paid someone to do it. So that's why I'm trying to extend the oil changes out.

Yeah but think of the satisfaction you will have knowing there is less oil burning at 5000 miles compared to the 7500 mile OCIs.

More time to keep algae out of the pool and better manage the carbs so you can get into your swim suite.

You have a point.

Originally Posted By: Yup
But seriously, with an algae outbreak that bad...my advice is always to drain the pool halfway (or whatever the safe level is) and refill with fresh water when someone starts the season with a cruddy pool. You'll be spending mega bucks on chemicals and it will take a lot of time to try to kill dirty water with chemicals only. If it's really bad, drain half, refill, drain half, refill again. Then start your water testing and treatment. I assume you're taking your water to get tested? If they have a spin lab it'll print the exact results of how many gallons, ounces, pounds of x,y,z you need. But with a really bad pool, from my experience, you'll be coming back about 5-10 times before the water gets to a more tolerable level. Also, if you're set on going the chemical route, you gotta vacuum all that algae out. Suck it all out with a pool vac until it's gone, test and treat the water, clean the pool again, etc. Don't treat the algae until you've sucked it out. If there's as much as it sounds like your filter probably needs to be checked, too (if you're running the filter). What kind of pool? In ground? Above ground? You might have a phosphate issue, too, with all of the sediment from winter/spring and the fact the algae are doing super well. Get your water tested at a spin lab! Many pool/spa places have them. If you buy chemical from them they usually do it free. Or, if not, you can convince them to if you buy chemical from them by using sales tactics on them.

I didn't get the water tested yet because it was just so bad. I did try the chemical route...8 gallons of shock, algacide, etc...and it did help a little bit, but the bottom was just covered in algae.

I took your advice and vacuumed the bottom, bypassed the filter and just put it on waste (it's an above ground pool). I also scrubbed the [censored] out of the sides. I've replenished quite a bit of the water over the last couple of days and I'll get the water tested. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back