Mixing Liqui Moly GT1 10W60 in with TWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My M5 calls for 10W60, I have used Liqui Moly GT1 for several years but found a guy selling some TWS for a good price (less than I pay for my liqui moly) and will be putting that in the car this spring.

I do however have about 2 liters of Liqui moly GT1 left over from last year. Is there a real reason not to use the remaining two liters of liqui moly in with the TWS? Car holds 6-7 or so liters of oil I believe, takes about 6 to do an oil change if I recall.

1390_200_100.jpg
Castrol%20TWS%2010w-60%20thumbnail.png

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I wouldn't mess around with partial fills. There's no telling how the additive packages will work when mixed. Oils are engineered so that they are technically miscible, and it's unlikely that you'll see any immediate harm. On the other hand, any application that specs TWS should be treated as a sensitive one. If it were my car, I'd just switch and do at least two OCIs before going back to my normal intervals.

I'd keep it one or the other in your "Ultimate Driving Machine."

Welcome aboard.

Hope you stick around and enjoy the discussion.

There are some BMW guys here that know their stuff.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What year is your M5?

Late 2001.

The fellow I am looking to buy the oil from has 18 bottles he is looking to get rid of. We agreed on around $11 a bottle (which is half the dealer around here).

I normally buy the GT1 for around $17 a liter I believe. So my plan was to buy the 18 liters, and since the car doesn't get driven much (Around 5-8000km annually) I only change the oil once a year, that would get me about three years. Then I would likely go back to the GT1 as it is quite a bit cheaper and has a good reputation.

Seems it might not be worth the hassle and maybe I should just stick with the GT1?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Hamster
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What year is your M5?

Late 2001.

The fellow I am looking to buy the oil from has 18 bottles he is looking to get rid of. We agreed on around $11 a bottle (which is half the dealer around here).

I normally buy the GT1 for around $17 a liter I believe. So my plan was to buy the 18 liters, and since the car doesn't get driven much (Around 5-8000km annually) I only change the oil once a year, that would get me about three years. Then I would likely go back to the GT1 as it is quite a bit cheaper and has a good reputation.

Seems it might not be worth the hassle and maybe I should just stick with the GT1?

FWIW, the post 03/00 cars were spec'd back to LL-01, so you don't need TWS in it. I run M1 0w-40 in mine, as do many other guys. The pre 03/00 cars have the non-improved rings and spec TWS, supposedly to just control oil consumption.

This also applies to the cars sold in Germany:
http://www.mobiloil.de/Germany-German-LCW/carengineoils_which-oil.aspx

Quote:

Fabrikat
BMW
Modell
M5 (S62, E39) (M5 Series)
Motor
B
Jahr
1998-2003
Neue Suche
Drucken
Buy Now
Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (B) Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung) (a, b, c) 7.5
Schaltgetriebe (d, e) 1.8
Automatisches Getriebe (f, h) (g)
Differential Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung) (h) 1.2
Kühlmittel (50%) Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung) 12.8
Bremsflüssigkeit Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung)
Differentials, vorne/hinten (mit Nicht-Selbstsperrdifferential oder viskoser Differentialsperre) Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung)
Selbstsperrdifferentials - Lamellen/elektro-hydraulisch mit mehreren Platten Herstellervorschriften beachten (siehe Betriebsanleitung)
Radlager 1. Wahl Mobilgrease XHP 222
2. Wahl Mobilgrease MB2
Hinweise verbergen Ölwechselabstände verbergen
Hinweise Schmiermittel/Kapazität

a. Motor, >3/2000, Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 / Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40

Do you track it at all?

Seems these M cars have more 'oil' discussions than any car I have experienced. You get the BMW official stance that the LL-01 is fine from that production date, but then the fear is that BMW switched to that at the same time they changed to free service on the car for X number of years, and thus it was to save themselves money. Also people claim the old tale of 'one of the engineers says this engine should only have TWS etc etc'. I just have been going with the GT1 10W60 haven't had any issues, not that I would expect to with any reasonable oil.

No I never track it. It's a garage queen mostly. Has 50,000 (80km) miles on it never winter driven etc.

Local NAPA quoted me $79 for a 5L jug of the GT1, I might just do that again and forget about it.

Last edited:
Yes, yes they do, LOL! It is quite the hot topic!
smile.gif

BTW, I don't believe the American cars were back-spec'd to LL-01, just the Canadian and European ones. Not sure how the free maintenance thing ties in there
21.gif

I believe the only "approved" 10w-60 for this application, if you adhere to the American or pre 03/00 guideline is TWS or the Castrol-branded version. The LM product is a "recommended for" situation, if that matter to you at all
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back