Mixing German Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, but I'm interested in more opinions.

I asked in the lifter noise topic,

posted June 22, 2003 02:57 AM

I have 18 litres of Syntec 5w50 left on my shelf that I would like to use up. How do those of you who don't approve of the use of 5w50 feel about me mixing my German Syntec 0w30 with the 5w50 to produce a 2.5w40-ish blend?

Patman said, "Those two oils are so radically different that I don't think mixing them is a good idea".

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Why not just use the 5-50 by it's self and run shorter drains if you want to use it up faster or are worried about the oil not being as good as the German syntec. I ran the 5-50 for over 100k over 8 years without problems. I had intended to run the 5-50 until the engine wore out, but since it still runs good at 228k I gave up and a will use this car to see how other oils hold up. Right now the rest of the car is likely to rust away before I can wear the engine out. Thats the trouble with this site, now I am hooked on uoa's.
cheers.gif

There is no way I'd mix these two oils. It wouldn't be like mixing different grades of Mobil 1, which are essentially the same oils as far additives. Syntec 5w50 and the German 0w30 are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in all respects. They are NOT the same oils just different grades.

Mix it 50:50. Get a VOA.
Run it 3000 miles, get a UOA and then prove everyone wrong about the negatives of mixing.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Mix it 50:50. Get a VOA.
Run it 3000 miles, get a UOA and then prove everyone wrong about the negatives of mixing.

We're not saying mixing in general is bad.. but mixing these two very different oils wrt to base stocks and additives is not a good idea.
dunno.gif

quote:

like mixing vinegar and water.

Since vinegar is acetic acid in water, I fail to see what the problem is with mixing these two.

As for mixing the oils I don't think it would be instant disaster, mix 'em go 3K. Get a UOA. I'll bet wear is fine.

Either that or you'll get a ball of snot the size a basketball in your sump and the engine will sieze in 20 miles.
crushedcar.gif
grin.gif

I agree with V6 Diesel, Just use the 5W-50 for a slightly shorter interval if you don't think that this is the best grade of oil to use. Use the 0W-30 German Castrol Syntec in the Winter and use the 5W-50 Castrol Syntec the rest of the time until you use it all up. I would never mix these two oils. You may not hurt anything by mixing these two oils but I don't see any advantage either.

I agree that for 3k intervals, mixing oils isn't a problem. It's mostly a problem with longer intervals, where it may cause the TBN to drop faster, or quicker oxidation. Keep in mind, this is all stuff only us guys would notice in UOA, it's not like mixing these oils causes instant death. I just wouldn't want to dilute the good 0w30 with the crummy 5w50.
smile.gif

Noone has ever heard of blended synthetics
rolleyes.gif

I am still not sold on the German syntec; And am hoping that it isn't the biggest hyped-up farce out there. Can you say "I don't touch/trust the GroupIII king".

So, is it the oil, or are the bottles made in Germany
dunno.gif

Well, a couple of things to consider from earlier posts:

1) Here's one that really supports the 5W-50 Syntec as a good oil all by itself (although I didn't like it in my Saab).

2) And here's another to make you think mixing oils is no problem whatsoever.

So, based on these two threads, I say do whatever makes you the most comfortable. If you really wanna mix (& I get the impression that you do), go for it without hesitation. Then later, when you can no longer suppress the waves of guilt & can't believe you really did that, use the 5W-50 straight & have no worries.

See how helpful it is asking for opinions around here?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back