Mixing GC with Syntec 5-50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to do another run of the BC, but I have a lot of Syntec 5-50 left over. Would anyone advise against mixing it 50/50 with GC to get about a 0W-40?

Mixing a PAO-based oil, GC, with a group III oil, the 5w-50, effectively gives you a very expensive synthetic blend. It will probably be fine, but I can't see the 5w-50 getting any better in it's own realm and likewise for GC. Why do it at all?

Really? Do a UOA? I could never figure out why anyone would like to see a UOA on a mixed batch of oil....
dunno.gif

I was considering it because I want to do another run of the BC, but got so much 5-50 left over....hope to get around a 0-40 or 5-40 in the final mix.

Dr. T,

You have been on this board long enough to know that it is filled with weird people. Some like to look at UOAs, VOAs, and some even get high from sniffing green oil.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Dr. T,

some even get high from sniffing green oil.

I resemble that remark
wink.gif

I am NOT a fan of mixing anything into the Green Elxier, the chemistry, Dr T...it's all about the chemistry, but I don't believe it would cause any problems to do so.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I was going to do another run of the BC, but I have a lot of Syntec 5-50 left over. Would anyone advise against mixing it 50/50 with GC to get about a 0W-40?

I would advise against it.
grin.gif
tongue.gif

This would be the time of year to run the 5W-50 straight. Save the GC for extremes.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

These are hugely different oils and the possibility of old fashioned additve problems cant be ruled out.

Also I'd hate to think what all those VII's from the 5-50 would do with the group4 (or5?) base oil of the GC.

Fred..
smile.gif

I say mix them and FOR SURE do a UOA. Maybe even do a VOA of the blend. I bet it's closer to a 5W-40, but it should be interesting....I would do it IF you have the oils. To specifically buy the oils for this brew doesn't make a ton of sense.

The reason for a UOA/VOA? It's the closest we can economically tell how the oil brew did or will do...

Call me nuts but I've got home blend fever. Don't get me wrong, I would never recommend J.Q. Publick using his engine as an oil blender. Nor would I (yet) tell my customers to brew, but I really like the whole customization scheme.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I say mix them and FOR SURE do a UOA. Maybe even do a VOA of the blend. I bet it's closer to a 5W-40, but it should be interesting....I would do it IF you have the oils. To specifically buy the oils for this brew doesn't make a ton of sense.

The reason for a UOA/VOA? It's the closest we can economically tell how the oil brew did or will do...

Call me nuts but I've got home blend fever. Don't get me wrong, I would never recommend J.Q. Publick using his engine as an oil blender. Nor would I (yet) tell my customers to brew, but I really like the whole customization scheme.

I don't see a problem with home blending either, it helps to get rid of odds and ends for a lot of people, and it's interesting to see different UOAs other than the 4 billion Mobil 1 reports we have on here.

In some cases it can give someone some of the benefits of the more expensive oils but at a lower cost. Such as the recent Redline/Mobil 1 mix on here. It showed very good results, and at a much lower cost than 100% Redline.

And I should also mention we've seen no evidence on here that mixing oils causes any kinds of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back