Mixing GC w/ a 20 wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinking of mixing my GC w/ a 20 wt oil......i have a f150 5.4 l and the GC hasnt fared well in them, but if i were to mix it w/ 20 WT............ A) would it work
B) would i gain anything by doing it
C) what would be the recommended mix......

It might work, although given that GC is a heavy 30wt, since your Ford probably calls for 5w20, I'd mix maybe 1/4 GC with the rest 5w20 (synthetic Mobil 1 or Castrol, I assume?). That would leave it a heavy 5w20, perhaps close to a 5w30. You might gain from slightly quieter operation and less shearing. I'd probably mix it with another Group IV like Mobil 1 before I'd mix it with a Group III like American Castrol Syntec

I've used GC as a top up to Mobil 1. It seems to work OK, although right now I'm still running 100% M1 since I haven't lost any oil from my last change 2500 miles ago.

Looks pretty decent '00obw, at least as far as TBN and Ca figures go. I'm not an expert at analyzing UOAs, so perhaps you can elaborate? Are you still running with the same mix now?

I'd mix it with Fuchs Titan 0w-20 that shares the same methylcrylate base oil. Fuchs claims "safe in any engine".

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
I'd mix it with Fuchs Titan 0w-20 that shares the same methylcrylate base oil. Fuchs claims "safe in any engine".

Fuchs is next to impossible to find in the US.

I thought methylcrylate was cement used to adhere artificial joints. Methacrylate and its many derivitives are used to make glue and plexiglass. Does Fuchs use a methacrylate-based polymer as their base oil?

Just FYI, Castrol advised me to NOT mix 0-30 GC with their Syntec X-20 weights, because they said the two oils were too different from one another. That's the response I got from an email I sent to them...I don't know what level of understanding the person writing to me has about these two oils.

I just mixed 3 litres of Syntec 5w20 and 3 litres of GC 0w30 in my 3.0L Duratec, so far it seems pretty quiet. I have no idea why you can't mix these two oils, doesn't make sense.

Last oil change, I mixed:

Four quarts of 0W-30 GC (green) with;
Two quarts of 5W-40 BC.

All is well, and I will do this every summer until my stash of BC is gone. (Use only GC in the winter). Once its gone, I will stay with GC year round.

BTW, I have been mixing oil (use whatever I have laying around) for years, and never had a problem. By law, all oils must be able to mix. If they could not mix, what would you do when you find you are a couple quarts low when checking your oil at a gas station while on a trip. They all have to mix.

Right now, my GoldWing has:
Two quarts of 15W-50 M1;
One quart of 10W-40 Motul E-Tech;
One quart of 10W-40 AmsOil.

Again, this is not the way I want to do it but I just use what I have laying around. Next oil change on the Wing will be:
Two quarts of 20W-50 RedLine;
One quart of 10W-Motul E-Tech and;
Don't know what I'll use as the last quart as I don't have anything else just laying around other than my GC and BC.

Bob
01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

I think Castrol said that because if you're mixing a heavier weight with a 5w20 then you are not using your vehicles spec'd oil.

Therefore they don't want to get in trouble telling someone to mix the different grades, my guess anyway.

Really doesn't make sense, oil is oil, you can't go wrong really mixing similar weights, brands.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
QUOTE:
Just FYI, Castrol advised me to NOT mix 0-30 GC with their Syntec X-20 weights, because they said the two oils were too different from one another.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wonder if that could be what my sodium problem was here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003407

Otherwise the UOA was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back