mixing dino with synthetic of the same brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys i got a 6 pack case of 5w-30 pennzoil platinum synthetic on sale at advance auto and i will be doing an oil change in the not too distant future. since i only do 5k ocis i didn't want to waste the oil so I was thinking of using 2 quarts of the platinum with 1.5 quarts of 5w-20 pennzoil dino in my 3.5 quart sump. my car is a 04 civic. if i didn't do so much stop and go driving i probably could do the normal 10k ocis but just to stay safe i'm going to follow the severe service schedule. also the next time i change my oil after this one will be 15k so i was thinking of doing a uoa on the oil and possibly a dyson analysis. would it be ideal to do this mix for the uoa since that will be my regimen for a few ocis if it works? or should i do the oci with one oil or the other? what do you guys think? also i will be adding lube control to the oil. thanks in advance.

I'm not sure it's economical this way, but I doubt it would harm the engine.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I'm not sure it's economical this way, but I doubt it would harm the engine.
dunno.gif

after the rebate the platinum would be $2.08 a quart. that's why i don't want to use it up so fast cause usually it's around $4.50 a quart. this would be my first time trying to "collect" oil since it's on sale. and usually my mom would have a problem with me stocking up but i told her that after rebate it would be more than half off so she had nothing to say.
smile.gif

I was referring to the plan which included the UOA.

M1 is available for less than 4 bucks a quart at Wal-Mart in the 5 qt jugs. If you want to use synthetic, go ahead, but this early in the vehicle's life and 5k changes, there are more efficient alternatives.

If you change the oil yourself, syn isn't really that expensive compared to filling the gas tank.
dunno.gif

Groucho or somebody that understands what he is saying, can you elaborate on what you mean by "there are more efficient alternatives"? thank you

It's a joke, son. As in:

I have a bad mechanic, I took my car in for a new clutch and the left tail light burned out.....

I think your oil brew will work, but be sure to do a UOA.

This "mixing stuff" is interesting. In one breath we tak about that is best to the Nth degree then we say mixing oils probably won't kill the engine. I don't get it, there are all kinds of really great oils out there and we think we can mix something better. Past me.

Quote:
This "mixing stuff" is interesting. In one breath we tak about that is best to the Nth degree then we say mixing oils probably won't kill the engine. I don't get it, there are all kinds of really great oils out there and we think we can mix something better. Past me.
=================================================

There are no (hypothetical) quality synthetic blends out there at 15-20% syn-blend. To me, quality starts at 33% & which oil company says they put that much in a quart of blend?... I think none is the correct answer. Plus... Because oils like Trop-Artic Blend are priced the same as their conventional at $1, do you really think there's more than 1%-5% synthetic in that oil? There are no laws that prevent oil manufacturers from using only 1% synthetic -- then calling it a synthetic blend.

It's all a gimmick really with these oil companies ....mainly about the lowest price structure on store shelves with synthetic-blends. Oil companies feel real comfortable with adding a dollar to the price to draw interested folks who want an upgraded oil, but have no idea how much synthetic is really in that oil. Folks like me don't feel comfotable with the percentages of synthetic that's really being used ... so by not knowing, I avoid purchasing it.

Most auto stores & variety stores like Wal*Mart won't allow the space needed to add another lineup of oils with more substantial synthetics added... maybe calling it " Synthetic Blend Plus. That's not going to happen because alot of retailers complained when "high mileage oils" were introduced that shelf space could not be expanded
If the national mixing average was "universal by law" & mandated a mixing number between 33% & 50% (40% for instance), then guys like me who propose a quality self-concotion wouldn't need to do so.

[ June 30, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

good reply Se7en. i agree that i'd rather mix my own synthetic blend because i would at least know what's in there. on top of that i would get what i pay for. i'm sure blends in the stores are not bad oils it's just i might end up paying for something that i don't get.

The adds are. I mix 50/50 M1 0w-40 and Delvac 1300. Strong adds and a solid base "mix". The cheaper GrpIII oils are decent but seems to have weak add packs. I faintly recall a thread specifically calling out ST on their GrpIII syn. Seems like somebody piped up with an virgin oil analysis and found a very weak TBN and some other things that touted it as a "3000 mile oil".

But if you take apples to apples here and take a name brand GrpIII, then you're probably right. My thinking was that I really liked the Delvac in my truck for all but start up. I attempted to lower my cold viscosity with the M1. Probably would get better results with Rotella Syn 5w-40, but none was availble, and this was more of an experiment anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back