Mixing Delo 15-40 to get 5-20

Same guy… same oil… different rigs;

40k mi. Sierra 5.3 with displacement on demand and VVT l, only drives 20 miles each way, country roads, never warmed up, or cooled down… it does haul a 2 horse trailer once a month up to 3.5 hours away.

and a 176k mile turbo Volvo with VVT that gets warmed up, cooled down, and runs 55mi easy way usually 65-85mph all highway.

that both call for 5-20 synthetic.

I have gallon jugs of Blue bottle Delo 15-40 on tap…what would y’all recommend to thin it out for these light duty motors?

I wouldn't thin it out. I'd try it and if the VVT doesn't act up use as or if it does drain and replace with 5W-20. Very small chance the VVT doesn't like the 15W-40

If a 2009-14 Gen IV 5.3, it will not care about 15W-40 one bit. Feed it to 'er straight.

This forum should be called Delo/Rotella ALL THE THINGS

LoL

The problem with thinning out is, you unbalance the chemistry of the add packs. Whatever specs either oil meets, they qre not guaranteed to do so after mixing. This is also true when mixing 2 oils with the same viscosity ratings.

Since engines really don't care if an oil is a bit thicker than spec why mix to end up with a thinner but possibly inferior product?

Plus you do not understand what the winter rating means and does not mean. You had that problem in the other thread you created. Mixing oils with different winter ratings is not necessarily predictable for that rating, but on the other hand whether it matters or not is dependent on your climate.

Mixing also likely negates any license, specification or approval the two original oils may have held. From that standpoint it is not desirable.

Just want to preface that I think it's a terrible idea and you shouldn't do it. The resulting oil will be a mix of vastly different specs and even have both gf-6a and gf-6b oil. I'm not sure I'd run that mix in my lawnmower.

Eyeball math says if you do about 50/50 maybe 55/45 15-40 and 0-16 it'll be roughly x-20 ish.

Back