mixing Chev. 10/30 & 10/40...opinions, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this type of questions has been asked before, but this is a little specific, so bear with me, please.(I already did a search)

To compensate for the little oil leak/burning I have, and to deal with the fact that even in winter a motor reaches high temps after a while of driving, I'm thinking mixing 3 qts of Chevron 10/30 & 2 qts of 10/40 dino oil for my next oil change.

** is there any danger of clashing additive packages, incompatibilities as a result of this?
** would a 4:1 ratio be safer than the planned 3:2 ratio?
** I'll also be using the 12 oz. Auto Rx with this mix.** the motor is a 1997 4.6L Ford sohc w/88,000 miles
** assuming a lowest temp here to be around 30 F in winter

Any danger-points?

Thanks in advance...

No danger at all ... but I don't think you'll see any benefit, either. The 10W40 is not very shear stable and will be down to a 30 weight in about 2,500-3,000 miles in many applications.

Maybe it's just 10W30 with a little bit of viscosity index improver added?
confused.gif

I don't think this will help with any leaking/burning problem you have.
frown.gif

If you do a search in the used oil analysis section, you might find the results (from about 2 months ago) from someone who used a Chevron "soup" in their engine.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Sorry if this type of questions has been asked before, but this is a little specific, so bear with me, please.(I already did a search)

To compensate for the little oil leak/burning I have, and to deal with the fact that even in winter a motor reaches high temps......

......Any danger-points?

Thanks in advance...

If you want to "Brew your own Chevron," why not use 50/50 mix of Chevron 10w-30 and 20w-50? With a mix of these two, you will wind up with something approximating a 40 weight. Best part of it is, the two mentioned have low Viscosity Index improver polymers, so your "special blend" will stay approximately a 40 weight for some time.

Unlike the 10w-40, which cannot even stay a 40-weight for 1,000 miles. Hopeless!
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back