Mixing additives?

Good afternoon all,

I have an 6.2l m156 engine and approx 3000 miles ago added liquid moly ceratec from reading advice and reviews on various sites including this one.
The engine appears to have the infamous gasket leak and main seal leak, only small, just a misting if anything. Can I now add liquid moly leak stop or similar? Or should this only be added with fresh oil without ceratec in there?

Ps Iv read on a review of a leak stop product that it actually prevented the owner needing to remove the engine for main seal repair. Whether this stands the test of time is another question.

Many thanks

I wouldn't put either on of those product in that engine, the stop leak may work temporarily but when it comes back and it will it is only a question of when it may be a lot worse. This engine does not use a Teflon rear seal but a rubber compound one, all the stop leak is doing is expanding and softening the rubber when it dries out again it may crack then you have a real leak.

It is going to do the same thing to every other seal in the engine.
Ceratec is close to snake oil and of little benefit spend the $20 on better oil if you are not using top shelf already.
IMHO use the best oil that meets the spec and live with it.

I wouldn't put either on of those product in that engine, the stop leak may work temporarily but when it comes back and it will it is only a question of when it may be a lot worse. This engine does not use a Teflon rear seal but a rubber compound one, all the stop leak is doing is expanding and softening the rubber when it dries out again it may crack then you have a real leak.

Ceratec is close to snake oil and of little benefit spend the $20 on better oil if you are not using top shelf already.

Is Ceratec snake oil? In another thread, MolaKule said it was nanometer size boron nitride particles suspended in an oil carrier based on information from Liqui Moly's Russian website.

If the information from Liqui Moly's website is accurate, then there are plenty of studies out there that demonstrate benefits. Here's one from a few months ago

This !

The general consensus among most members here is to run a good oil and skip dumping bottles of goo in your motor.
Yes, and I typically take that one step further and note that I prefer to buy lubricants from companies that put their best foot forward with their premium offerings rather than what could be perceived as making a product that can be further improved by something they sell separately.

There is no Mobil 1 "Super Oil Fortifier 9,000".

Is Ceratec snake oil? In another thread, MolaKule said it was nanometer size boron nitride particles suspended in an oil carrier based on information from Liqui Moly's Russian website.

If the information from Liqui Moly's website is accurate, then there are plenty of studies out there that demonstrate benefits. Here's one from a few months ago
You have to get past the advertising and think about it. If it were so good why don't they formulate it into one of the oils and call it a super premium?
It certainly would not cost them what you pay for a retail package and related advertising campaign, myself and others including a mod here have witnessed it clump and accumulate in areas of low oil flow, while this may be harmless in an old school engine I cant see it very good in an engine with some very close tolerance parts like electric solenoids, cam phasers, spool valves, etc.

Could it be they do not want to open that can of worms? The other thing is oil formulators already use a lot of different additives in their formulation including Boron, Titanium, Tungsten Moly and companies spec an oil to meet their criteria. MB has some pretty high specs so an oil that meets them does not need "help".

That is just common sense, if they were of the opinion that nano unicorn juice was in some way going to benefit their engines and in turn possibly lower warranty claims they would include it in the spec..

You have to get past the advertising and think about it. If it were so good why don't they formulate it into one of the oils and call it a super premium?
It certainly would not cost them what you pay for a retail package and related advertising campaign, myself and others including a mod here have witnessed it clump and accumulate in areas of low oil flow, while this may be harmless in an old school engine I cant see it very good in an engine with some very close tolerance parts like electric solenoids, cam phasers, spool valves, etc.

Could it be they do not want to open that can of worms? The other thing is oil formulators already use a lot of different additives in their formulation including Boron, Titanium, Tungsten Moly and companies spec an oil to meet their criteria. MB has some pretty high specs so an oil that meets them does not need "help".

That is just common sense, if they were of the opinion that nano unicorn juice was in some way going to benefit their engines and in turn possibly lower warranty claims they would include it in the spec..

You make a great point when you look past the advertising. In their defence, they say not to add ceratec to any of their molygen formulations because it's not required.

Molygen has the tungsten additive and they say "independent testing has shown MolyGen reduces wear by up to 30%, with up to 15% lower coefficient of friction than ordinary oils of the same viscosity."

Digging deeper, I figured out they mean conventional oil when they say ordinary oil. If they used mobil1 as the control, then we'd be talking.

So yes you're right, unless someone is using conventional oil - there may be few benefits.

Liqui-Moly_diagr_tr_2.jpg

Regarding the clumping, is it possible the bottles were over 5 years old? They say: "The size of solid particles (0.5 microns) guarantees their free passage through the filters and excludes the possibility of their settling."

Back