Mixing 80w BelRay gearsaver with Rotella T4 15w/40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zad

I've got a question about oil in my ktm 300 two stroke snowbike. I'm set to ride tomorrow morning
and I normally run BelRay 80w gearsaver transmission oil (specifically made for use in two stroke dirt bikes) in the gearbox/wet clutch of the bike. Problem is that I only have 600ml and I need 800ml. I've got a bottle of Rotella T4 15/40 and I'm wondering if I could add 200ml of the T4 to the BelRay gearsaver 80w? I imagine you're wondering why I don't just use all T4. The bike has a rekluse auto clutch and prior to the fairly recent (last year or two?) rotella reformulation the rotella T4 worked very well in dirt bikes with this type of clutch. Since the reformulation, however, the manufacturer of the clutch has seen an increase in reports of clutch slippage with customers using T4. Many riders still use it without problems. The BelRay gearsaver 80w oil works very well with the clutch so I'm wondering if I can top up the 80w with the 15/40?

And I should also say I'm talking about doing this for a 4 hour ride only, will change oil and use the gearsaver when the shop opens Tuesday.

For just one ride I wouldn't sweat it at all. Is the Bel-Ray stuff mineral based or synthetic? If it's mineral I definitely wouldn't worry.

Just before leaving someone on a KTM forum posted that ATF works well in small two stroke motor gear boxes and very well with the Rekluse clutch. Turns out
BelRay Gearsaver 80w and ATF look, smell and feel the same. So I topped up the BelRay with 200ml of ATF and the clutch worked perfectly all day, no slip even when on the pipe and feathering the clutch to get up steep and deep climbs. Thanks for the post 69Torino, next time I'm in a pinch I'll know its ok to mix oils for short rides.

I would not think twice about running that mix. and BTW, that belray gearcase oil is good stuff. Its about the only product I have used in the past with my CRF450r that actually makes a noticable difference with shifting and clutch operation compared to motor oil or ATF. If it were not so expensive I would have a stash of it. I also have to say the belray foam filter oil is very good as well, the only product I will use on foam filters unless Im out, in that situation I will use Maxima, the maxima FFT is probably 2nd place IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back