Mixing 5w-30 and 0w-40 M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been talk about being able to mix viscosities of M1, so I went to Wally World yesterday and picked up a 5qrt jug of 5w-30 (I wanted 10w-30, but they were all out) and 2 qrts of 0w-40 for my truck (it has a 6.5 qrt sump). I picked up a good stock of motorcarft and Supertech filters while I was there too.

My question is can I mix the 0w- weights with the other weights of M1?

My goal here is to thicken up the 5w-30 on the high end just a little. 10w-30 runs great in the truck, but is a bit thick at start up resulting in a little noise for a split second. Basically a thick 5w-30 is perfect. Getting a decent oil for a reasonable price is difficult here. Local Amsoil reps want about 7 buck a quart, and the only place that sells Redline ($11 a qrt) and Royal Purple ($5 a qrt) is open on the weekdays during working hours. So Mobil is my staple because of its price and availiblity.

I haven't done any UOAs because I rarely run the same oil. I've been going back and forth with Quaker State Syn, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1. Maybe its time to stick with Mobil for afew cahnges and see what a UOA looks like for my truck.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are basically one formulation, and 0W-40 & 15W-50 are somewhat different formulations. Yes, they can be mixed without problem. No one knows if the resultant mixture is better or worse than the unmixed oil without expensive and extensive testing.

I don't see why our typical inexpensive UOA couldn't help us see how these types of mixtures are doing though?

Patman, After I break in my rebuilt LS1 with Halvoline 10w30 I will do a run or 2 with M1 10w30. I have talked to Terry a little on trying to brew M1 5/10w30 with M1 15w50. I will try this and see how much better my car likes it and will post the results! I wish it just didn't take so long to get the results.....stay tuned!

I have mixed about a 25% M-1 15W-50 with the 10W-30 and wound up with a mid 30 wt. As Ken mentioned-you won't be able to calculate what you got.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
There has been talk about being able to mix viscosities of M1, so I went to Wally World yesterday and picked up a 5qrt jug of 5w-30 (I wanted 10w-30, but they were all out) and 2 qrts of 0w-40 for my truck (it has a 6.5 qrt sump). I picked up a good stock of motorcarft and Supertech filters while I was there too.

My question is can I mix the 0w- weights with the other weights of M1?

Yes

When you mix different multi-viscosity oil you end up with an undetermined viscosity mixture. You don't have the arithmetical average of the mix; you'd have to test the viscosity to see what you've got.

Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are basically one formulation, and 0W-40 & 15W-50 are somewhat different formulations. Yes, they can be mixed without problem. No one knows if the resultant mixture is better or worse than the unmixed oil without expensive and extensive testing.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

I don't see why our typical inexpensive UOA couldn't help us see how these types of mixtures are doing though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back