Mix Zerex Asian Car Coolant with G-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hum.... why do you want to mix these? In *THEORY* I would think they would be ok.. they are slightly different chemistries... but only slightly. They are both HOAT, but G-05 uses silicates and no phosphates, while ZAV uses phosphates and no silicates. But Zerex G-05 is low silicate anyway, and phosphates shouldn't be a problem. They are just one of many different corrosion inhibitors which are generally compatible with each other.... so.... i guess...yes*? I have a mercury milan that takes G-05 and 2 Lexus vehicles that I use ZAV, never really needed to mix them. Used both for years and years.

*Disclaimer: I have no idea. Anything posted by this tinmanSC guy is probably not only wrong, but may cause the universe to implode. Double check everything he types before implementation of this "information"... if you can even call it that.

The P.O. of my first civic used Zerex Asian, judging by the color in the radiator and jug he sent with me... well long story short... when I blew a radiator hose and lost half of my coolant I refilled with zerex g-05 and drove it for another 2 years with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why? Use the right product. Zerex sells both.

well the problem is Zerex asian is $17ish a gallon and only available as 50/50, enjoy your $8 of water.

While Zerex g05 can be had in 100% for $16ish.

That was the boat I was in when I just bought the Zerex g05, they should be compatible and Honda actually spec'd g05 on later models of the engine in my application. Plus $10 extra when you're 17 for extra same brand feel goods wasn't in the budget.

Last edited:
The risk of a problem far out weighs any possible benefit. Cooling system problems are the major cause of break-downs. If money's tight eat beans and rice for a couple of meals. It beats walking home.

It would be highly unlikely mixing two HOAT coolants would cause any damage. You cant say/prove mixing the two is going to cause problems anymore than I can say/prove it wont. This is like someone asking if they can mix VWB and M1 HM with out causing problems... They're both supposed to be compatible but if they are causing a little more wear because of it you wont really be able to tell.

Last edited:
If mixed, I would not bank on the long life properties of the coolant mix that you will end up with and I would change it after 2 years to be on the safe side.
Now, each of these coolants can go 5 years on their own, so in the long run, mixing will save nothing. If it were me, I would convert to one formula and stick with it.

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes

It would be highly unlikely mixing two HOAT coolants would cause any damage.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

If mixed, I would not bank on the long life properties of the coolant mix that you will end up with and I would change it after 2 years to be on the safe side.

I agree with both of the statements above.

Bought a used Jeep. Radiator looks green but the overflow is red/pink.

Not sure what to put in it.

Best option, a full radiator flush and add fresh coolant/water as recommended by the manufacturer. Almost any coolant available will work, in the proper concentration and within its specified lifespan.

^^ Agreed with the full flush.

Your safest option when choosing a coolant is just to stick with the OEM stuff from the dealer or a good quality equivalent recommended for your vehicle. I've bought coolants for a for a Lexus (@ Toyota dealership) and a Hyundai and the cost was not way out of whack compared to Zerex/Prestone coolants. Mixing coolants that are made for certain makes can cause some costly repairs down the road by far exceeding the cost of a few dollars extra for the OEM Coolant. Stick to what your owner's manual recommends for best results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Bought a used Jeep. Radiator looks green but the overflow is red/pink.

Not sure what to put in it.

Based on that information, as noted, first thing is to do a complete flush. I'd say a distilled water d&f series until running clear or close would be easiest.

Not sure what year Jeep, but most likely it's G-05 and that's what I'd use. Comes in a full strength, is available from Napa (and elsewhere) as Zerex and relatively reasonably priced for a full strength AF. Imo, best choice in this case.

Ordered from ZORO yesterday and AF already delivered. Free shipping till Christmas.

^^^ Never really heard of ZORO before for AF, but $12.60/gallon for full strength G05 including shipping, darn good. The free ship seals the deal. Wonder what shipping would have been otherwise. Anyway good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back