Mix up some 20w40, would it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming a straight 30 oil could pass the test for the 20w rating, which it might (well, maybe with some pour point depressing additive), then one could make up a 20w40 multigrade by mixing equal parts of straight 30 and 20w50. That would halve the viscosity index improvers by spreading them throught the straight 30 part of the mix with the result of roughly a 20w40. Well, maybe there is more too it, but you get the idea.

It would also depend on the Straight SAE 30 and 20W-50 you chose.

Schaeffer's #256 Moly Pure Synthetic SAE 30 for instance doesnt like much being a 5W-40 graded as a multi weight. It is on the low end of a 10W and high end of 30 Weight.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
Why not just run a great, off the shelf, inexpensive 15w-40?

Dave

That would be too easy. I have to play with my oil.
freak2.gif

But seriously, I was just thinking about it, not intending to actually do it. But supposing someone wanted to run a particular brand (e.g., Maxlife) in the thicker, but unavailable grade, they could try this (but would be well advised to have their concoction tested for viscosity behavior).

I actually ran a mix of 4 qts Maxlife 5w30 and 2 qts Maxlife 20w50 to see what an approximate 10w40 would do for my oil pressure. Truck had a belly full of fresh 5w30 and I didn't want to dump it all, so just switched out two qts. As a result I switched over to 10w40, and currently am running 15w40.

He's like many of us or at least most of us at one time or another... he's gotta play with the oil.
Besides, attempting to decipher the proper balance between formulas of different oils and
additives is left up to the experts in R&D of some oil company, and you know that they just wanna use the cheapest antiwear, metal deactivators, antifoam agents and base oils...etc... as they can get away with right???

Besides, it's more fun.
shocked.gif
fruit.gif

biggthumbcoffe.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
Why not just run a great, off the shelf, inexpensive 15w-40?

Dave

Go for it TALLPAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back