Mix pennzoil ultra and platinum

3.3 TDI Hyundai 96,000 2009
New to me and city driver. Hot weather area.
I have 1 5-20 ultra Platinum synthetic and 1 5-30 Platinum synthetic high mileage.

Would this be a decent mix or should I use one and then the other?

Thanks

Contrary to popular belief, the engine is not going to realize that you mix two different oil. LOL!!!
It does not care whether it is a Pennzoil, QS, Mobil, Supertech, etc.

Contrary to popular belief, the engine is not going to realize that you mix two different oil. LOL!!!
Would it care if it were Pennzoil and Questron Synthetic Blend?

I was wondering if any of the additives would counteract with each other
I forgot to add that the 530 is also high mileage

Yet another "can I mix oils" question.

If the oils in question are API licensed then they must pass ASTM D6922 which guarantees they will be miscible. This means they will not cause harm and the additives will not cause the mixture to gel or separate. This does not mean however that the resulting mixture will still carry any of the licenses, specifications or approvals that the original oils had.

ASTM D6922:

Significance and Use

5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

I think that gives you Penn Gold if I'm not mistaken
It gives you a mixture of two otherwise fully-formulated motor oils that may or may not still meet any of the requirements for the licenses, specifications or approvals the individual oils otherwise met. It also does not guarantee the mixture will still meet the winter rating of either of the individual oils.

It will not cause damage but it will not be an improvement either.

... It also does not guarantee the mixture will still meet the winter rating of either of the individual oils. ...

If I mix a 5W-20 and a 5W-30, can I wind up with a 10W-30? (Serious question as I regularly do it to up the 100°C cSt viscosity on several vehicles still under warranty.)

Because they're both Pennzoil, I think you're safe. The additive chemistry will be similar. With different brands, then it's a more risky proposition.

As Kschachn points out, under the ASTM, different brand oils are guaranteed to be miscible. They are not guaranteed to work as well as they would have separately.

Back