Mitsuboshi Timing Belt stitching

Hi Trav, I did not remove this belt my mechanic did,...long story,...warble with Aisin water pump kit,.replaced with another Aisin kit same noise. But I digress. There is no apparent fraying of the belt anywhere. But as I was just checking the belt there is another area, just like it on another tooth. So perhaps it is some sort of check mark for the manufacturer.
It should be no problem as long as it goes back on the same way it was removed. The marks inside the belt are used in the manufacture, This is Gates with a similar mark.

gates.jpg

It should be no problem as long as it goes back on the same way it was removed. The marks inside the belt are used in the manufacture, This is Gates with a similar mark.

View attachment 116438
Interesting thanks so much Trav! I almost had a heart attack thinking I got a counterfeit belt in an Aisin kit or something weird!!!. The last 2 months have not been good for me with car parts and weird engine noises! :oops: :eek:

Last edited:
I need to double check the country of origin..
It is a non issue, it is easier to have the machines to manufacture the belts where the rubber is from, a portion of the compound used to make the belt is still natural rubber. Japan has very few raw materials so it is all imported, the difference in the belt is where the companies identical machines to produce it was set up. It could be on the moon and it would still make no difference.

It is a non issue, it is easier to have the machines to manufacture the belts where the rubber is from, a portion of the compound used to make the belt is still natural rubber. Japan has very few raw materials so it is all imported, the difference in the belt is where the companies identical machines to produce it was set up. It could be on the moon and it would still make no difference.
Good to know, thank you!

I had this notice from Honda for my 2019 Pilot shortly after purchasing it. Defective timing belt which could be tracked by VIN and lot code on the belts themselves. Dealer had to verify the lot code and go from there even with a small number of belts supposedly having been defective.

TSB 19-045
April 12, 2019

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2019 Odyssey
2018-2019 Pilot
2019 Ridgeline

BACKGROUND
During production, a supplier produced some timing belts that do not meet specification. These timing belts may shred
or slip, causing the cam shafts to fall out of timing. Camshafts that are out of timing will set DTC P0341: CMP Sensor
and CKP Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected and/or DTC P0369: CMP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Interruption and the
engine will run rough. Additionally, shredded timing belts may cause the vehicle to stall and not be able to restart, which
increases the risk of a crash.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the
customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety
recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Inspect the timing belt and, if necessary, replace the timing belt. If the lot codes are not visible or the timing belt is
damaged, a cylinder leak down test may be required and, based on those results, further repairs may be required.

NOTE
Only a small percentage of vehicles are expected to have timing belts that are out of specification. Only order
replacement parts after you have identified an out-of-spec timing belt.

I had this notice from Honda for my 2019 Pilot shortly after purchasing it. Defective timing belt which could be tracked by VIN and lot code on the belts themselves. Dealer had to verify the lot code and go from there even with a small number of belts supposedly having been defective.

TSB 19-045
April 12, 2019

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2019 Odyssey
2018-2019 Pilot
2019 Ridgeline

BACKGROUND
During production, a supplier produced some timing belts that do not meet specification. These timing belts may shred
or slip, causing the cam shafts to fall out of timing. Camshafts that are out of timing will set DTC P0341: CMP Sensor
and CKP Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected and/or DTC P0369: CMP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Interruption and the
engine will run rough. Additionally, shredded timing belts may cause the vehicle to stall and not be able to restart, which
increases the risk of a crash.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the
customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety
recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Inspect the timing belt and, if necessary, replace the timing belt. If the lot codes are not visible or the timing belt is
damaged, a cylinder leak down test may be required and, based on those results, further repairs may be required.

NOTE
Only a small percentage of vehicles are expected to have timing belts that are out of specification. Only order
replacement parts after you have identified an out-of-spec timing belt.
Thank you for posting that, yes I did read that TSB, and was hoping that by now they have corrected that issue with the TB. The more in depth reason was, that the supplier in order to increase production, made new moulds for the Timing Belts. They then realized these were not curing properly in the new moulds, thus the reason why they had the potential for shredding and thus the recall. They did take corrective action by "fixing" the moulds. Hopefully there are not any of these timing belts sitting on a dealers shelf that have not been removed because the dealer wanted to save money and not return them. I would think they would be responsible enough to remove them. This of course was 4-5 years ago.

Do you guys think the Unitta Gates belts are stiffer? I happen to have a Gates Japan belt and a Mitsuboshi belt and the Mitsuboshi feels so much nicer more flexible. With the Gates Japan belt my car sounded awful a lot of noise in the engine, it sounded like a diesel,…any thoughts ?

Back