Mitsuboshi Timing Belt stitching

rcs

Has anyone ever seen this stitching on a Mitsuboshi timing belt? Enlarge the photo to see what I am referring to.
It is right on top of one of the teeth. Is this normal and not something to worry about? I have one just like this on my Honda Pilot right now from a kit. See picture below. I am not bashing them, I just want to know from the experts here if this is acceptable and okay, or if I need to worry about this??!!!:eek::oops:😰
Look closely and you can see on top of one of the teeth there is a sown area, enlarge the picture it is right in the middle of the picture.
Thanks in advance for your time and responses...

Attachments

• stitching on Mitsuboshi belt.jpg
    stitching on Mitsuboshi belt.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
It's totaled.
What exactly does that mean? Please no jokes regarding this. This is a serious question. That is a brand new belt! Just out of the Aisin kit 2 weeks ago with only 2 weeks of wear on it. And the new one that was just put in has the same area on it.

Mitsuboshi belts are as good as you can get and are OEM on many vehicles. With that being said, I think you have nothing to be concerned about. However, nothing is perfect so the possibility of one inferior item making it into the market is possible.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Here is a close-up from their own web page of a timing belt:
1662834440372.jpg

Mitsuboshi belts are as good as you can get and are OEM on many vehicles. With that being said, I think you have nothing to be concerned about. However, nothing is perfect so the possibility of one inferior item making it into the market is possible.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Here is a close-up from their own web page of a timing belt:
View attachment 116404
Thanks so much for the close up and the vote of confidence! I just thought it would be odd to have stitching in the middle of the belt! I am talking about the area on 1 of the teeth specifically have it looks like something is sewn on it. The rest of the belt looks like the one you have posted. Do an enlargement of the photo and you will see it.

Ok great to know! So you guys looked at it as an enlarged picture and saw the stitching on one of the teeth does not look like the one above or below it? I am not talking about the vertical grooves, I know they are normal.
What causes that? I have seen a Gates Japan belt and it did not have any stitching on it, it was solid all the way around.

If this is the only tooth with this identifier then it just may be some type of index point for quality control.
stitching on Mitsuboshi belt.jpg

If this is the only tooth with this identifier then it just may be some type of index point for quality control.
View attachment 116417
Excellent! That is exactly what I was referring to! I just did not know how to put a box or check mark on the area for viewing. Okay great to know, that it is perhaps some mark for production and it is not going to break open at that one area. I just thought it was odd. Thanks so much FowVay!

It won’t be long and this thread will be over 100 posts as well.
I am not trying to be controversial, I think these are made very well. and used in alot of other cars . I wanted to ask this question and post it so if anyone else saw this, and inspected their new TB before installing it they would know it is okay.

The stitching on the belt is normal, is there any fraying on the side of the belt that appears to have fraying or an errant stitch? If so it is not good, it has come in contact with something.
If not he belt is probably fine my other question is did you mark or remember which way it came off? I always put the belt on with the printing facing me so if it needs to be removed and put back there is no question on the direction, if the printing is missing mark it. Never put a used tooth belt back in the opposite direction of previous rotation, belt life can be significantly reduced.

The stitching on the belt is normal, is there any fraying on the side of the belt that appears to have fraying or an errant stitch? If so it is not good, it has come in contact with something.
If not he belt is probably fine my other question is did you mark or remember which way it came off? I always put the belt on with the printing facing me so if it needs to be removed and put back there is no question on the direction, if the printing is missing mark it. Never put a used tooth belt back in the opposite direction of previous rotation, belt life can be significantly reduced.
Hi Trav, I did not remove this belt my mechanic did,...long story,...warble with Aisin water pump kit,.replaced with another Aisin kit same noise. But I digress. There is no apparent fraying of the belt anywhere. But as I was just checking the belt there is another area, just like it on another tooth. So perhaps it is some sort of check mark for the manufacturer.

Use with confidence. I’d be more worried if you see the aramid/rayon cords on the upper side of the belt.

Mitsuboshi, Bando and Gates Unitta are all OE suppliers but there’s differences with their aftermarket belts in some cases(OE Toyota serpentine belts and Honda timing belts).

Use with confidence. I’d be more worried if you see the aramid/rayon cords on the upper side of the belt.

Mitsuboshi, Bando and Gates Unitta are all OE suppliers but there’s differences with their aftermarket belts in some cases(OE Toyota serpentine belts and Honda timing belts).
Thanks so much!

Back